Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Firebird [closed]

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
debiantu

Firebird [closed]

#1 Post by debiantu »

Hello all,

Just did an update of Jessie and found the following updates after doing apt-get update and upgrade:

Code: Select all

The following packages will be upgraded:
  firebird2.5-common firebird2.5-common-doc firebird2.5-server-common
  google-chrome-stable libfbclient2 libfbembed2.5
Let's just ignore Chrome, the other updates are updates to Firebird which from googling is a database product. I checked my other Debian machine and found that it also has Firebird installed by default. Why is this software installed by default? I've tried searching on why it's installed by default even though I don't use the product - in addition to that.. I tried finding out what depends on firebird by doing the following and showing it's results:

apt-cache rdepends firebird2.5-common
firebird2.5-common
Reverse Depends:
  libfbembed2.5
  libfbclient2
  firebird2.5-superclassic
  firebird2.5-super
  firebird2.5-server-common
  firebird2.5-classic
  libfbembed2.5
  libfbclient2
  firebird2.5-superclassic
  firebird2.5-super
  firebird2.5-classic
From my understanding - it appears to me that there's no need to have this installed.

Can anyone tell me why this is installed by default and it's use? I do have firebird2.5-server-common installed but can't find the server software... I don't see it running either.

thanks!
Last edited by debiantu on 2017-03-30 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

umarzuki

Re: Firebird

#2 Post by umarzuki »

try checking its dependencies to see if you can uninstall it

apt-rdepends firebird2.5-server-common

Thorny

Re: Firebird

#3 Post by Thorny »

debiantu wrote: Let's just ignore Chrome, the other updates are updates to Firebird which from googling is a database product. I checked my other Debian machine and found that it also has Firebird installed by default. Why is this software installed by default? ...
From my understanding - it appears to me that there's no need to have this installed.

Can anyone tell me why this is installed by default and it's use? I do have firebird2.5-server-common installed but can't find the server software... I don't see it running either.
If you have aptitude installed you can query it for an answer with

aptitude why firebird2.5-common
It appears to be related to libreoffice.