Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Updating wine/winetricks

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
nytokenwhiteguy

Updating wine/winetricks

#1 Post by nytokenwhiteguy »

Hey all,

New to Linux, my friend suggested I try it out. I'm running Debian Jessie but I'm still trying to figure things out, so sorry if this ends up being a stupid question.

I'm trying to run StarCraft 2, which requires installing Battlenet. Apparently wine is a common way to run these, so I installed wine, winetricks, and winecfg. Got wine configured to windows 7, but couldn't get past the initial stages of installation. Apparently some windows dll is required (vcrun2005/2008/2015, as well as corefonts). I found all of these in winetricks with the exception of vcrun2015. It seems my versions of wine (1.6.2) and winetricks (20140817) are slightly outdated, and I'm wondering how to update them. I've seen people suggesting using a backport, but I have no idea where to start. Keep in mind I'm new to this, so the simpler the better.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bryan

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Updating wine/winetricks

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Try https://packages.debian.org/jessie/playonlinux

Although I have to say that if you want to run Windows programs then the best way to do that would be to install Windows...
deadbang

nytokenwhiteguy

#3 Post by nytokenwhiteguy »

Thanks for the help. Yea I'm debating dual booting after this, but at the time I didn't really anticipate needing it. Only gaming I've done in a while had been through Steam.

POL seems to work well but unfortunately doesn't include vcrun2015 yet and I'm still having problems getting the Blizzard app to run after install. Haven't figured out a way around this yet.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Yea I'm debating dual booting after this, but at the time I didn't really anticipate needing it.
You do not have to use "dual booting",
by Head_on_a_Stick »Although I have to say that if you want to run Windows programs then the best way to do that would be to install Windows...
I would add, and suggest, useing a VM, maybe Virtual Box, install it to the VM,..