Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is sleep mode (suspend to RAM) any good on Linux?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
elsmandino

Is sleep mode (suspend to RAM) any good on Linux?

#1 Post by elsmandino »

I am still in the middle of putting together a working Openmediavault Server (based on Jessie), as a replacement for Windows 10.

The main use for the server is going to be for doing all my recordings (via TVHeadend).

My current Windows server is set up so that it goes to sleep whenever idle for 10 minutes and also wakes up for scheduled recordings.

This is really easy to do with Windows - just a couple of options in power management.

How easy is it to recreate the same thing on Debian?

I did read somewhere that Linux just is not as reliable as Windows for this sort of thing and as such, Linux servers should just be left on 24/7.

This would be pretty wasteful for me as no-one is at home between about 8am and 6pm and very few recordings tend to take place during this period.

elsmandino

Re: Is sleep mode (suspend to RAM) any good on Linux?

#3 Post by elsmandino »

I did try posting on there, about this, a while back but have yet to respond - I shall see if I can bump it.

Is it not good form to post on here about OMV issues? I.e. Although it is based on Debian, is it too different?

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

elsmandino wrote:Is it not good form to post on here about OMV issues?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 15#p542283

pcalvert

#5 Post by pcalvert »

Hi,
I can't answer your question, but I can point you toward this resource:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Po ... _hibernate

And here are two options to consider:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/tuxonice-userui
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/uswsusp

I have no experience with this, but if I were wanting to set up suspend to RAM, that's where I would start.

Phil

P.S. Yes, that first link is on the Arch Linux wiki. That's because their wiki is excellent, generally speaking, and is sometimes a better choice than the Debian wiki.
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

pylkko

#6 Post by pylkko »

it is possible to have linux suspend the system to RAM after certain amount of inactivity. See the Debian manual or the wiki.

In most linux desktop distributions you don't have to install or configure anything as this is set up for out-of-the-box, so to speak. but you can use packages like xprintidle to do this youself.

Linux can also be woken up from suspension using a real-time clock on the hardware with the package rtcwake. For more info see "man rtcwake".
Last edited by pylkko on 2017-04-04 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

by elsmandino »Is it not good form to post on here about OMV issues? I.e. Although it is based on Debian, is it too different?
I don't know about OMV either,....nor care.
But it is no problem to ask, it is not a matter of "good form", or "bad form", the thing
of it is you are more likely to not only find people that know more about OMV,
on the OMV forum, but more people with interest in it.
We do like to keep this forum related to specificly Debian, other distros, are "other distros" and usually have their own forums.
It probably would have been better to post this in the "offtopic" forum

It also would be nice if the OP thought a little more about how they word things,
to me it sounds like just another one of these people that want to stir things up and try telling us:
I did read somewhere that Linux just is not as reliable as Windows
This is really easy to do with Windows - just a couple of options in power management.
I don't know, and don't really care about windows either, I don't use it,...if the OP prefers that, they should just stick with it,...and leave us alone.
Yes there are lots of "gossip blogs" claiming Linux just is not as reliable as Windows,
but they are nothing more then "gossip", Linux is more reliable then Windows , in every way, that is why I don't use Windows, never have and never will, all though I have tried it on a few occasions, even right from the beginning,..it went from bad to worse, and keeps getting worse,...hopeless useless, software.
So any way, this all really belongs in the offtopic forum, it has nothing to do with Debian,

elsmandino

#8 Post by elsmandino »

Thank you all for the input - the hyperlinks and reference to "man rtcwake" are really useful and have definitely got me on the right track now.

My sincerest apologies for any offence caused - none, whatsoever, was intended. I shall try to phrase my questions in a more neutral way in the future.

I also take your point about OMV not being Debian. Although the advice above has been invaluable to me as a complete Linux novice, I agree to stick to the OMV forum (or general Linux forums) for future help.

Thanks again, everyone.