Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

rackable servers

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
PhBfr

rackable servers

#1 Post by PhBfr »

Hi !

When we connect a server for example Dell Poweredge R200, to the LAN with a RJ45 cable and a power cable...

1) How to access to the server: from any workstation connected to the LAN (if we got access code...) ?

2) On a 1st install, is there an OS: Citrix XENSERVER ? Is it possible to install a linux server distri ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Philippe

GarryRicketson

Re: rackable servers

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

Welcome to
Debian User Forums
by PhBfr >
2) On a 1st install, is there an OS: Citrix XENSERVER ? Is it possible to install a linux server distri ?
Yes it is possible.
This is not a general Linux forum, but for Debian, the procedures may be different for other Linux distros, if you are planning to use Debian , there
is some documentation available:
How to install Debian to Citrix XENSERVER
==================
Maybe start with
https://wiki.debian.org/Xen
-------------------
There are many other results, it probably is worth taking the time to read some
of them.

It is not very good practice to ask multiple questions in one topic because it
makes a mixed up topic, and can be confusing,..but in any event ,
1) How to access to the server: from any workstation connected to the LAN (if we got access code...) ?
How to access to a server: from any workstation connected to the LAN
Again, this question is rather vague, accessing a server and how, may vary depending on the OS and software the work station has.
With linux, or a Bsd, and on my "work station", I use the terminal and ssh or sftp
depending on what tasks I will be doing. To just browse, or view the forums and websites on the server, I use a web browser, there are many.
From the terminal simply type :

Code: Select all

$ ssh username@domain.dom 
Note, username, would be your username,..."domain.dom" would be the actual domain name or IP,...for sftp or ftp, the same,... to use the web browser,..
I type for example :

Code: Select all

$ dillo http://forums.debian.net 

And yes, you do need to be authorized to access a specific server, so you need your login info, password, etc. or "accesscode".
Of course anything that is available to the public, like a website, or blog, forum, etc, can simply be viewed with a browser, if the administration wants to make it
more private, a login and password may be required.
The questions are not really very clear, No information on what version of Debian the OP is actually using, etc. So any way, if the OP all ready has searched, and read some of the many tutorials and detailed explanations, but simple did not find anything that they understand, then the OP should at least
tell us, specifically what they have read, and exactly which part they do not understand,.. and also, One topic, for 1 question.
That is about all I can say,...to long of a post, I know,
So, no need to tell me about that,..and also , I apologize in advance if anyone takes my reply wrong, or thinks it is "condescending", , I do like to try to offer
advice, when possible actually a correct answer, and I responded because I want
to help the OP,..If the OP or anyone else does not like my response,.no problem
I apologize in advance. Hopefully, maybe someone else will have a better reply.

PhBfr

#4 Post by PhBfr »

Thanks a lot for your answers (Garry : THANKS!)

I would like to apologise if it is not the right place: i will post specific Debian questions...

Could you tell me if you know a forum for general Linux questions or even for NETWORK HARD/SOFT...

Could someone be interested in a question (or answer) like:

Why to connect 3 rackable servers via RJ45 and a switch (1 for server for FTP/Web, 1 for backup and 1 for CUPS services?) more than 1 big rackable server? (Yes Garry, Just one question...)

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Philippe

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#5 Post by arochester »

Could you tell me if you know a forum for general Linux questions or even for NETWORK HARD/SOFT...
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/