Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

how to start on screen keyboard caribou?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
hthi

how to start on screen keyboard caribou?

#1 Post by hthi »

debian 8 64bit mate main
caribou

I have installed caribou. How do I start it? Command caribou does not start it.
Thanks.

Thorny

Re: how to start on screen keyboard caribou?

#2 Post by Thorny »

hthi wrote:I have installed caribou. How do I start it? Command caribou does not start it.
The Caribou on screen keyboard isn't something that you "start" manually with a command. It is an assessibility option that installs itself to autostart and runs behind the scenes waiting. Check in settings for Assessibility (Universal Access) to turn it on, I don't think it is enabled by default. When you have it turned on, then when you click in a text entry field, it pops up for use similar to the way an onscreen keyboard works on a smart phone. For example: open a terminal window or a text editor window and Caribou should open for text entry.

Note: The version number of Caribou is lower than 1, so it would generally be considered beta software. It is a dependency of Gnome-core and works in Gnome but I am not familiar with the Mate desktop so I don't know if anything is different there and I wouldn't be able to help if there is a Mate issue.

hthi

Re: how to start on screen keyboard caribou?

#3 Post by hthi »

Thank you.
when you click in a text entry field, it pops up for use
Then I do not want to use caribou.

I cannot find caribou in control center -> Assistive technologies or applications -> universal access.
Applications -> assessories -> keyboard starts an onscreen keyboard. Its size is small. It displays up to the left. It cannot be moved.