Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is it possible to do this in linux?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
emil_21

Re: Is it possible to do this in linux?

#31 Post by emil_21 »

debiman wrote: very nice, but you still haven't told us what you want to achieve. but one step closer

anyhow, you've been given plenty of hints now, it's your turn now.
I need a script that can do this: when the mouse touch the bottom of the screen, and the firefox is the active window, the script to send ctrl+shift+e key press to the firefox window. This will open the tab groups panel in firefox. This way i can switch between tabs by clicking on the tab thumbnail in the tab group panel, since i like my tabbar to be hidden.
When the mouse touch the bottom of the screen and firefox is not the active window the script should not be activated.

debiman

Re: Is it possible to do this in linux?

#32 Post by debiman »

yes this is scriptable with the above mentioned tools.
i'll just add wmctrl to the pool of available utilities.
you know, in linux there's almost always more than 1 way to skin a cat.

if you've never done anything like this on linux, there will be a learning curve, and i think it is clear that this is a highly personal setup so you'll have to make it yourself.

i suggest this workflow:
1) see if you can trigger a command on touching certain hot corners (screen edge). sometimes the window manager already has the ability, sometimes you can install a separate app for that, e.g. http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop- ... 3672.shtml or https://github.com/mstraube/x-corners (but already packaged versions may exist in your repos, search "hot corner")

2) write a shell script (most probably bash) that checks if the right window is in focus, and if so, performs the necessary actions. i think xdotool can do most, if not all, of what you require. be prepared to use wmctrl also. maybe also xprop, xwininfo etc.