Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

PC freeze - Clearing orphaned inode

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Polly

PC freeze - Clearing orphaned inode

#1 Post by Polly »

My PC occasionally freezes. I have to force a reboot using the PC switch. Upon reboot I get messages:

/dev/sda1: recovering journal
/dev/sda1: Clearing orphaned inode XXXXXX
/dev/sda1: Clearing orphaned inode XXXXXX...

MemTest86 ran for 8 hours with no error. An extended SMART Self-Test on the drive reported OK.

My os is Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 (jessie). Can anyone please suggest any steps I might try to help identify and/or resolve this freezing?

Thanks
Polly

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: PC freeze - Clearing orphaned inode

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Polly wrote:Can anyone please suggest any steps I might try to help identify and/or resolve this freezing?
Consult the systemd journal for any clues.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... stemd-logs
deadbang

millpond

Re: PC freeze - Clearing orphaned inode

#3 Post by millpond »

Polly wrote:My PC occasionally freezes. I have to force a reboot using the PC switch. Upon reboot I get messages:

/dev/sda1: recovering journal
/dev/sda1: Clearing orphaned inode XXXXXX...

MemTest86 ran for 8 hours with no error. An extended SMART Self-Test on the drive reported OK.

My os is Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 (jessie). Can anyone please suggest any steps I might try to help identify and/or resolve this freezing?

Thanks
Polly

When a system freezes it nearly always will do so before flushing its write cache and causing errors in the file system. The hard drives are fine, and low level diagnostics will find no problems.

The problem lies in WHY the system is freezing, and unfortunately there are many things that can do it. Linux is actually more prone to freezing than Win.

Here, in my experience the cause falls into three basic categories:

1. Heat. If CPU or video chip get too hot - and heat sinks WILL clog up - then the system will freeze. Fix is a thorough cleaning of the mobo and its heat sinks.

2.Drivers. Less common, but I have dealt with it here. Particularly video drivers. May need to reinstall them, or change. Errors should be in system logs.

3. Apps vs memory. If there is insufficient memory and some cron jobs like indexers kick in they can pretty much freeze a system. Have top run in a rooted terminal, and keep an eye on it.

Less common but a guaranteed way to freeze a system is to get too low on hard drive space. The system will freeze here if free space drops below 5-10%, even if there are many gigabytes left. The actual 'free' disk space is always an erroneous count, due to the way Linux deals with temp filesystems.