Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Game Development] appropriate forum for Linux game dev

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
imazighen-thamzgha

[Game Development] appropriate forum for Linux game dev

#1 Post by imazighen-thamzgha »

ⴰⵣⵓⵍ
I have been searching around the forum but I couldn't find an appropriate place to post about game development, am searching for people to team up and make something specific to the Linux platform, such as a game or a game engine for the general use of everyone to level up the gaming area in Linux, thanks lol
ⵉⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⴻⵏ / imaZighen

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: [Game Development] appropriate forum for Linux game dev

#2 Post by steve_v »

If you're looking to develop a game, your best would be a game engine specific forum, there are many game engines that run on GNU/Linux and most have a forum or mailing list. Pick one and join the discussion / development.
If you really want all the work of starting from scratch with a new engine... Dunno, start a project, put up a website / forum, and try to poach some hackers? :P

This forum is about Debian, not software development in general - or game development in specific. Offtopic is probably fine for a chinwag, but you may not get many bites.
If you have code you would like input on, we also have a Programming section. But again, you'd likely get more relevant input in a game-focused arena.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

imazighen-thamzgha

#3 Post by imazighen-thamzgha »

I already made a game engine, am more looking to make something for the Linux gaming community, thanks for the help, I will go somewhere else, I just posted here since am using Debian Stretch, that's all, peace lol
ⵉⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⴻⵏ / imaZighen

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Post by imazighen-thamzgha » 2017-04-21 04:13
I already made a game engine,---------
Programming
woulld be appropriate, especially if you have built the game engine with and for
Debian.
The problem with many others that have been designed , written for Linux in general
is that "general" all to often is Ubuntu, or Linux mint, and installing them , or trying to
install them on Debian, can be risky at best, or simply does not work.
Debian is not Ubuntu, nor Linux mint,...
The "game develope ment" in general, well unfortunately most of those kind of sites
are primarily windows users, and developers using that ,...
Any way, the "programming" category here would be the best place to start, I don't
know how much interest there would be though. Here on this forum it seems like the
main interest is with people trying to get their Windows system to boot after they install
Debian, and problems they have with sound, video , firmare and driver related issues.
If the OP has really all ready made a game engine, that actually works on Debian,
it would be interesting, at least to me , to hear more about this. The OP needs to make it available, where can someone get the source code, etc ? So anyone interested
can try it.
=================================edited===
imazighen-thamzgha »I have been searching around the forum but I couldn't find an appropriate place to post about game development,
No, probably you wouldn't find anything here related to that, as far as I know nobody here has posted about game developement,
imazighen-thamzgha »---am searching for people to team up and make something specific to the Linux platform
If all you want to do is announce this, and invite interested people to team up,
I think just the"offtopic"
or "general discussion", also would be fine for that.
Like steve_v says, and it is true, most developers of any programs, not just game engine, usually they start a site or mailing list, where they can concentrate on the specific program and it's developement.
The problem with a forum like this one, is you get a lot of "noise", from various types
of members, that really have no interest at all.
Any way, good luck, if nothing else, you can PM me, I am interested in this a little bit.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-04-21 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

Seventh

#5 Post by Seventh »

Game Dev aside, ultimately its about the user and from what i have gathered the best place for gaming on linux is steam. I dont know much about it but wouldn't game dev go through those channels first?

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#6 Post by steve_v »

Seventh wrote:from what i have gathered the best place for gaming on linux is steam.
At the moment, I won't touch that thing with a 50-foot pole, and a sharp one at that.
I do play a bunch of games on GNU/Linux, but I flat out refuse to buy anything with DRM in it, or anything that requires a Steam login to run.
Until Steam starts advertising (and allowing me to search by) the DRM status of the products they sell, that means I won't buy anything there, and have no interest in it as a platform.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

+ 100 steve_v
There is no way I would install steam to my system, even though it is the "most popular", and that is questionable,.."most popular" does not make something
the best.
Trying to get back on the topic,...the OP may find this of interest:
https://blends.debian.org/games/tasks/c++-dev.fi.html
If you discover a project which looks like a good candidate for Debian Games to you, or if you have prepared an unofficial Debian package, please do not hesitate to send a description of that project to the debian-devel-games@lists.debian.org Debian Games mailing list

imazighen-thamzgha

#8 Post by imazighen-thamzgha »

I should agree, I never used steam before except that one time where I had to chat with a game dev, and then I forgot all my credentials, am not planning on using steam neither releasing for steam.
@GarryRicketson sorry but the engine is too private and am not planning on releasing it on public, in fact I am making another slowly but this time without the cutting edge optimization and efficiency, and with a support to GLSL 1.20, since the FFP will be deprecated .
And am just thinking about making it 2D to make some nice enjoyable games, users might enjoy the games for free, but they wont be able to enjoy the source code since it's wont be open, I guess game play is all what matters to players after all.
And back when I was making this game with a Learner I had, it actually worked good on both Ubuntu 64bits and my Debian 32bits, so I guess it's not a big deal since I wont package it.
By the way, if you're interested in making something together @Garry, we can work together for a simple game or a tool, or whatever.
Thanks all for your time mates!!!
And sorry I didn't check my account, now I will check it daily.
ⵉⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⴻⵏ / imaZighen

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#9 Post by None1975 »

imazighen-thamzgha wrote:ⴰⵣⵓⵍ
I have been searching around the forum but I couldn't find an appropriate place to post about game development, am searching for people to team up and make something specific to the Linux platform, such as a game or a game engine for the general use of everyone to level up the gaming area in Linux, thanks lol
Check this.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

imazighen-thamzgha

#10 Post by imazighen-thamzgha »

Thanks mate. I am actually looking in both forums, and I already posted there before, it's a nice place
ⵉⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⴻⵏ / imaZighen