Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Configuring Openweather GNOME extension

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Lysander

#1 Post by Lysander »

Am I correct in thinking that GNOME extensions don't work in Jessie? I have been trying to congifure the Openweather extension with no success. Maybe I'm putting in the API key wrongly. Has anyone had any success with this and can let me know the right way to do it?

phenest

Re: Configuring Openweather GNOME extension

#2 Post by phenest »

Lysander wrote:Am I correct in thinking that GNOME extensions don't work in Jessie?
You are not correct. But you do need to install an extension that is for your specific version of Gnome-Shell.

Where did you get the extension from?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

i faintly remember there were problems with that weather thing, because the service doesn't exist anymore or some such.
maybe related? or yesterday's news?

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

------ because the service doesn't exist anymore or some such.
Yes, there was something about that posted here some time ago, and it
was due to the fact that the particular weather service used in the code
no longer exists.
Then there was another thread, fairly recent, for the same reasons,
and if I remember correctly , the OP posted a "solution" or work around.
Also if I remember correctly, some searches using startpage. or google,
yield a lot about this,... maybe later I will do some.
---------------- edit -----------
I did not have time to look at all the results, we are getting ready to go out
for a while, but there are quite a few results, maybe the OP will find something:
----------------
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/750/openweather/

phenest

#5 Post by phenest »

I've installed the OpenWeather extension from the Debian repository for Jessie and it works as expected. The weather here is currently 14C with broken clouds. I went outside and, yep, that's right.

Lysander

#6 Post by Lysander »

phenest wrote:
Lysander wrote:Am I correct in thinking that GNOME extensions don't work in Jessie?
You are not correct. But you do need to install an extension that is for your specific version of Gnome-Shell.

This is an extension which is included with the standard Debian install, as far as I can tell. I didn't install it manually.

GarryRicketson wrote:
------ because the service doesn't exist anymore or some such.
Yes, there was something about that posted here some time ago, and it
was due to the fact that the particular weather service used in the code
no longer exists.
Then there was another thread, fairly recent, for the same reasons,
and if I remember correctly , the OP posted a "solution" or work around.
Also if I remember correctly, some searches using startpage. or google,
yield a lot about this,... maybe later I will do some.
---------------- edit -----------
I did not have time to look at all the results, we are getting ready to go out
for a while, but there are quite a few results, maybe the OP will find something:
----------------
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/750/openweather/
Thank you, nearly all of the first page shows purple links - i.e. links I have already checked. I have installed the GNOME extensions plug-in but not native host connector. I think I have to do it through cmake?

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeSh ... bian_Linux

Even then it should be a simple matter of entering my API key, but when I do this I always get no results.

phenest wrote:I've installed the OpenWeather extension from the Debian repository for Jessie and it works as expected. The weather here is currently 14C with broken clouds. I went outside and, yep, that's right.
Can you tell me how you configured it? It's the configuration I'm having a problem with mostly.

phenest

#7 Post by phenest »

I didn't configure it in any way. All I did was add my location and removed the location that was already there.

pylkko

#8 Post by pylkko »

i remember reading a bug report some time ago where you had to remove the location that it offered first and then add the real location. if you added first and then deleted, it would fail. but i don't remember more. then there was also the issue when the service provider changed the api so that it required an api key, which essentially meant that you had to fo to openweather.com register a unique key and insert that into the extension. i don't know if either of these issues are resolved and whether they affected the version in jessie. whatever the case, you need to give a full decription of how you are configuring it for anuyone to be able to give feedback on whether or not you are "doing it wrong".

phenest

#9 Post by phenest »

@Lysander

What version of Jessie are you running? 8.7.1?

Lysander

#10 Post by Lysander »

phenest wrote:@Lysander

What version of Jessie are you running? 8.7.1?
yes indeed.
phenest wrote:

The extension is working now. I just deleted my old one that didn't work, created a new one, typed in London to find it, and clicked on the coords which then filled the box in. I think it was confusing before because of the dark theme I have.

Still cannot get other GNOME extensions to work through though the website.

https://extensions.gnome.org

I have installed the browser extenstion but its says "native host connector is not detected". I have tried installing cmake using apt-get install cmake but it still does not work. What could I be doing wrong?

ruffwoof

#11 Post by ruffwoof »

I think the gnome extensions web page is a bit cryptic, IIRC you have to download the zip file of the extension you want to install and use your extensions administrator (whatever its called) in gnome ... and select a button at the bottom right of that dialog IIRC ... to load that zip file. Or something like that ???

phenest

#12 Post by phenest »

Lysander wrote:Still cannot get other GNOME extensions to work through though the website.

I have installed the browser extenstion but its says "native host connector is not detected". I have tried installing cmake using apt-get install cmake but it still does not work. What could I be doing wrong?
You need to install the chrome-gnome-shell package as well as the extension which is for Chromium/Chrome and Firefox. Works better with Firefox than with Chromium.

phenest

#13 Post by phenest »

ruffwoof wrote:I think the gnome extensions web page is a bit cryptic, IIRC you have to download the zip file of the extension you want to install and use your extensions administrator (whatever its called) in gnome ... and select a button at the bottom right of that dialog IIRC ... to load that zip file. Or something like that ???
The point of the Gnome Extensions web site is so you don't need to do any of that. But if you do download them manually from the developer's web site, you can use Gnome Tweak Tool to install the zip file.

Lysander

#14 Post by Lysander »

phenest wrote:
Lysander wrote:Still cannot get other GNOME extensions to work through though the website.

You need to install the chrome-gnome-shell package as well as the extension which is for Chromium/Chrome and Firefox. Works better with Firefox than with Chromium.
Right, I tried it in Firefox and it works perfectly. Chromium still has problems with it and Opera, no. Thank you very much indeed.

ruffwoof

#15 Post by ruffwoof »

phenest wrote:
ruffwoof wrote:I think the gnome extensions web page is a bit cryptic, IIRC you have to download the zip file of the extension you want to install and use your extensions administrator (whatever its called) in gnome ... and select a button at the bottom right of that dialog IIRC ... to load that zip file. Or something like that ???
The point of the Gnome Extensions web site is so you don't need to do any of that. But if you do download them manually from the developer's web site, you can use Gnome Tweak Tool to install the zip file.
Thanks. I remember hitting similar problems as the OP with installing extensions and ended up installing zip's ... which I didn't really like doing ... part of the reason I didn't stick with gnome and moved over to lxde instead.

acewiza

#16 Post by acewiza »

You need an older browser that still supports the NAPI function for the gnome shell extensions website.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.