Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wireless connection problem

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
jbrnr

Wireless connection problem

#1 Post by jbrnr »

I can not wrap my head around this problem that I am having with my current laptop computer. Everything works just fine under home conditions (WPA/WPA2 personal), but when I try accessing another network (open wireless connection at my university), I get connected but with no actual internet access. I would assume that this has something to do with my DNS settings, but I am unsure as to how I should approach this problem.

dasein

Re: Wireless connection problem

#2 Post by dasein »

When making a post like this....

1) Always identify the troubleshooting steps you've already tried. It saves everyone (including you) time and aggravation.

2) "Doesn't work" is not adequate information for diagnosis; you need to speak specifically to (a) what "doesn't work" (b) precisely how it "doesn't work" and (c) exactly how you determined that it "doesn't work" (such as specific error messages).

Start by running through some basic networking diagnostic procedures and post back when you have some diagnostically useful information to share.