Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Choosing correct locale

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
infestor

Choosing correct locale

#1 Post by infestor »

i would like to use debian in english (us) and i live in turkey (so currency, date etc. i would like them to be in turkish formats).
before i start my debian installation...which locale should i choose?

PS: right now the installer tells me that there is no locale for according to my language and country selection, so it suggest en_US.UTF-8.
Last edited by infestor on 2017-05-01 16:20, edited 2 times in total.
---------------

phenest

Re: Choosing correct locale

#2 Post by phenest »

If you install Gnome, that's perfectly possible. You can select language, formats and keyboard layouts independently.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

peter_irich

#3 Post by peter_irich »

You can choose English locale and after installation set the desired settings in /etc/default/locale.
For example, LANG will be en_US.UTF-8 and set in turkey what you need only.
man -a locale
man localdef

Peter.

ruffwoof

#4 Post by ruffwoof »

I use

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
dpkg-reconfigure locales
dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

and if ntp (time server) is installed it all works as expected.

With one of them you have to deselect the existing choice(s) using the scroll down ... and use the space bar to select the alternative ... i.e. old DOS like textual selection interface. There are commands to restart things ... but I tend to just shutdown/reboot into the new settings.

In LXDE there is a Keyboard Layout Handler panel item that can be added to the panel where you can add different countries to that, and a simple click on the panel icon switches through the set selections one by one.