[SOLVED] How can I install Virtual Box?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Re: How can I install Virtual Box?

Postby acer-manjaro » 2017-05-10 20:31

pylkko wrote:https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

This wiki explains what you should do.
Do not type "deb" into a terminal. That is not correct.

If you install Virtualbox from backports with apt, you don't have to manually install all the dependencies.


So what should I type Instead. As it stands I have a virtualbox.deb saved in root & nothing else.
acer-manjaro
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 2017-05-07 15:55

Re: How can I install Virtual Box?

Postby stevepusser » 2017-05-10 20:38

Yes, that line in the instructions is what you have to add to the text file /etc/apt/sources.list in order for the system to use the jessie-backports repository. This is a system file, so the text editor has to be run with system administrator rights. Since there are quite a few ways to do this, depending how you installed Debian and what desktop you are running, I would either want to know more about that, or resort to less beginner-friendly command-line options.

However, if you just want a universal terminal command that adds the repo in its own "jessie-backports.list" file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d, with the contrib and non-free packages also enabled, it's (as root or with sudo)

Code: Select all
echo 'deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main contrib non-free' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jessie-backports.list


Then run
Code: Select all
apt-get update
as root or with sudo to refresh your package database.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.0.6, Pale Moon 27.4.0, Liquorix kernel 4.11-9, mpv 0.25.0, Kodi 17.3, Ksnip 1.3.1, Mesa 13.0.6
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 8413
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: How can I install Virtual Box?

Postby acer-manjaro » 2017-05-10 20:46

stevepusser wrote:Yes, that line in the instructions is what you have to add to the text file /etc/apt/sources.list in order for the system to use the jessie-backports repository. This is a system file, so the text editor has to be run with system administrator rights. Since there are quite a few ways to do this, depending how you installed Debian and what desktop you are running, I would either want to know more about that, or resort to less beginner-friendly command-line options.

However, if you just want a universal terminal command that adds the repo in its own "jessie-backports.list" file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d, with the contrib and non-free packages also enabled, it's (as root or with sudo)

Code: Select all
echo 'deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main contrib non-free' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jessie-backports.list


Then run
Code: Select all
apt-get update
as root or with sudo to refresh your package database.


Ran them both think It worked. Should I paste it ?

Debian Jessie non-free 8.7.1 GNOME on Acer Aspire 4920G
acer-manjaro
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 2017-05-07 15:55

Re: How can I install Virtual Box?

Postby stevepusser » 2017-05-10 21:12

Does this command now work, then?

Code: Select all
apt-get install virtualbox virtualbox-qt -t jessie-backports
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.0.6, Pale Moon 27.4.0, Liquorix kernel 4.11-9, mpv 0.25.0, Kodi 17.3, Ksnip 1.3.1, Mesa 13.0.6
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 8413
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: How can I install Virtual Box?

Postby pylkko » 2017-05-11 10:01

acer-manjaro wrote:
pylkko wrote:https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

This wiki explains what you should do.
Do not type "deb" into a terminal. That is not correct.

If you install Virtualbox from backports with apt, you don't have to manually install all the dependencies.


So what should I type Instead. As it stands I have a virtualbox.deb saved in root & nothing else.

Please actually first read the Wiki page.

Nobody want to try to rewrite it, especially since it is done better there than anyone here can do...

Reading the documentation and actually understanding what commands you give to your computer will help you in the future also.
User avatar
pylkko
 
Posts: 966
Joined: 2014-11-06 19:02

Re: How can I install Virtual Box?

Postby acer-manjaro » 2017-05-11 12:07

stevepusser wrote:Does this command now work, then?

Code: Select all
apt-get install virtualbox virtualbox-qt -t jessie-backports



Results

Code: Select all
root@debian:/home/acer-manjaro# apt-get install virtualbox virtualbox-qt -t jessie-backports
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 virtualbox : Depends: virtualbox-dkms (>= 5.1.8-dfsg-6~bpo8+2) but it is not going to be installed or
                       virtualbox-source (>= 5.1.8-dfsg-6~bpo8+2) but it is not going to be installed or
                       virtualbox-modules
              Depends: libgsoap5 but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: libvncserver0 (>= 0.9.9) but it is not going to be installed
              Recommends: libqt5core5a (>= 5.0.2) but it is not going to be installed
              Recommends: libqt5opengl5 (>= 5.0.2) but it is not going to be installed
              Recommends: libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.0.2) but it is not going to be installed
              Conflicts: virtualbox-5.1 but 5.1.22-115126~Debian~jessie is to be installed
 virtualbox-5.1 : Depends: libqt5core5a (>= 5.3.0) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libqt5gui5 (>= 5.3.0) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libqt5opengl5 (>= 5.0.2) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libqt5printsupport5 (>= 5.0.2) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.2.0) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libqt5x11extras5 (>= 5.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
                  Recommends: libsdl-ttf2.0-0 but it is not going to be installed
                  Recommends: linux-image but it is not installable
                  Conflicts: virtualbox
 virtualbox-qt : Depends: libqt5core5a (>= 5.3.0) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libqt5gui5 (>= 5.3.0) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libqt5opengl5 (>= 5.0.2) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libqt5printsupport5 (>= 5.0.2) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.2.0) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libqt5x11extras5 (>= 5.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).


And I think the Oracle Virtual Box in partially installed because a logo appears in the Application menu. But when I open It, It doesn't open.
Maybe I should uninstall all Virtual Box files first and then Install it again.

What do you reckon?
acer-manjaro
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 2017-05-07 15:55

Re: How can I install Virtual Box?

Postby phenest » 2017-05-11 14:41

acer-manjaro wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Does this command now work, then?

Code: Select all
apt-get install virtualbox virtualbox-qt -t jessie-backports



Results

Code: Select all
root@debian:/home/acer-manjaro# apt-get install virtualbox virtualbox-qt -t jessie-backports
...
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
...


And I think the Oracle Virtual Box in partially installed because a logo appears in the Application menu. But when I open It, It doesn't open.
Maybe I should uninstall all Virtual Box files first and then Install it again.

What do you reckon?

Like I said, did you do as it suggested? Look at the error. It suggests to run:
Code: Select all
apt-get -f install
NEC Spirit 550 P4 3.8GHz HT - 2GB RAM - nVidia 7600GT - Pioneer BDR-209DBK
ASUS Sabertooth P67 i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - 2x nVidia 660GTX SLI'd
User avatar
phenest
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: 2010-03-09 09:38
Location: The Matrix

Re: How can I install Virtual Box?

Postby acer-manjaro » 2017-05-11 15:46

phenest wrote:Like I said, did you do as it suggested? Look at the error. It suggests to run:
Code: Select all
apt-get -f install


Just to summarize, Which all should I run ? there a a lot.

Code:
dpkg -i virtualbox.deb

Code:
apt-get -f install


Are these enough ?
acer-manjaro
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 2017-05-07 15:55

Re: How can I install Virtual Box?

Postby eor2004 » 2017-05-11 16:17

Hi, as an alternative way to install virtualbox (Oracle version) you can download the .deb file from virtualbox.org and install it using package "gdebi" from Debian repos.
Debian Stretch x64, Cinnamon 3.2.7, Kernel Linux 4.9.0-1-amd64, Pentium Dual-Core E5300 @ 2.6Ghz, Gigabyte G41M-ES2L, Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller, 1Tb Caviar Black WD1001FALS.
User avatar
eor2004
 
Posts: 144
Joined: 2013-10-01 22:49
Location: Puerto Rico

Re: How can I install Virtual Box?

Postby phenest » 2017-05-11 16:24

eor2004 wrote:and install it using package "gdebi" from Debian repos.

How is the OP going to install gdebi if they can't install virtualbox using apt-get?
NEC Spirit 550 P4 3.8GHz HT - 2GB RAM - nVidia 7600GT - Pioneer BDR-209DBK
ASUS Sabertooth P67 i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - 2x nVidia 660GTX SLI'd
User avatar
phenest
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: 2010-03-09 09:38
Location: The Matrix

Re: How can I install Virtual Box?

Postby stevepusser » 2017-05-11 17:25

Because gdebi is in the main Debian repository and doesn't conflict with anything else.

To clear things up, the OP first tried to install the deb directly downloaded from Oracle, but used dpkg -i, which ended up resulting in missing dependencies. To finish up on that path---all that needs to finish the install is the command "apt-get -f install"--or to use gdebi to install standalone deb files instead of "dpkg -i".

However, it wasn't clear to me that the OP had an incomplete Oracle install, and I suggested installing the fairly recent version from jessie-backports. The Oracle and Debian versions conflict, so the incomplete Oracle install clogged up the works.

So the OP must decide whether to go with the Oracle version and finish its install, or to remove it and go with the jessie-backports version. Both are good choices, IMO. Just be aware that the jessie-backports version will always be at 5.1.8 and not get any possible security updates. If that depresses people, I could update my virtualbox jessie-backports repo in the openSUSE Build Service to the latest in upstream Debian--just ask here.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.0.6, Pale Moon 27.4.0, Liquorix kernel 4.11-9, mpv 0.25.0, Kodi 17.3, Ksnip 1.3.1, Mesa 13.0.6
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 8413
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: How can I install Virtual Box?

Postby phenest » 2017-05-11 20:26

I think you misunderstood me Steve. If the OP is struggling with something as fundamental as this, there's not much hope for them installing anything else. And, to be honest, I'd rather teach something simpler, which so far has not advanced very much since the first post. The OP is trying to install software as one would in Windows. How many times have I installed a program in Windows just for it complain that a specific version of .Net is required but .Net needs to be downloaded separately. It would be nice if it grabbed it automatically, the same way it's done in a Linux distro packaging system.

Back to apt-get ...
NEC Spirit 550 P4 3.8GHz HT - 2GB RAM - nVidia 7600GT - Pioneer BDR-209DBK
ASUS Sabertooth P67 i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - 2x nVidia 660GTX SLI'd
User avatar
phenest
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: 2010-03-09 09:38
Location: The Matrix

Re: How can I install Virtual Box?

Postby stevepusser » 2017-05-11 20:48

phenest wrote:I think you misunderstood me Steve. If the OP is struggling with something as fundamental as this, there's not much hope for them installing anything else. And, to be honest, I'd rather teach something simpler, which so far has not advanced very much since the first post. The OP is trying to install software as one would in Windows. How many times have I installed a program in Windows just for it complain that a specific version of .Net is required but .Net needs to be downloaded separately. It would be nice if it grabbed it automatically, the same way it's done in a Linux distro packaging system.

Back to apt-get ...


Yup, I don't know if you have noticed, but we seem to have a few of these threads in the last couple days...ones where we have to spell out specifically how to get root or sudo, edit a simple text file, install a deb file or use a repo, and so on. It's difficult to know just how far down our basic instructions have to drop.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.0.6, Pale Moon 27.4.0, Liquorix kernel 4.11-9, mpv 0.25.0, Kodi 17.3, Ksnip 1.3.1, Mesa 13.0.6
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 8413
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: How can I install Virtual Box?

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-05-11 21:01

It's difficult to know just how far down our basic instructions have to drop.

It seems some do not even know what a command line is, nor a terminal.


phenest wrote:
eor2004 wrote:and install it using package "gdebi" from Debian repos.

How is the OP going to install gdebi if they can't install virtualbox using apt-get?

This is to confusing, but wouldn't
Code: Select all
apt-get install gdebi

install "gdebi' ? It should , the OP should read some documentation,.
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html
==========
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPackageManagement

The OP does not understand, or know how to install a package.
When they see this:
phenest wrote:
Like I said, did you do as it suggested? Look at the error. It suggests to run:

Code: Select all
        apt-get -f install

acer-manjaro »Code:
apt-get -f install


Are these enough ?

The OP does not know to use logic, they need every little detail spelled out,
No :
Code: Select all
apt-get -f install
is not enough, the command needs to also have the package name,.. for example:
Code: Select all
apt-get install -f virtualbox

or
Code: Select all
apt-get install gdebi

where it says "gedbi" or virtualbox, could be any package name,...but you must tell it the name of the package.
Read some documentation, read the manual:
Code: Select all
man apt-get
or if you prefer use "synaptic package manager"
Code: Select all
man synaptic
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 4064
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: How can I install Virtual Box?

Postby phenest » 2017-05-11 21:03

stevepusser wrote:It's difficult to know just how far down our basic instructions have to drop.

I don't know whether to continue being patient (by that I mean: putting a bandage on my head 'cos it's hit a wall so many times) and hope they "get it", or tell them they aren't suited to Debian (or Linux in general).

@ acer-manjaro: Don't read anything into my comment to stevepusser. It's not personal. We're all willing to help, but you need to "get it".

Perhaps we to start by removing everything thus far related to VirtualBox, and start again.
NEC Spirit 550 P4 3.8GHz HT - 2GB RAM - nVidia 7600GT - Pioneer BDR-209DBK
ASUS Sabertooth P67 i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - 2x nVidia 660GTX SLI'd
User avatar
phenest
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: 2010-03-09 09:38
Location: The Matrix

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

fashionable