Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Desktop Icons

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
NeoFahrenheit

Desktop Icons

#1 Post by NeoFahrenheit »

Hi.

I'm trying to enable desktop icons on KDE interface, just like Windows, but without success.
I've used the search function in this forum and the web, but no solutions worked for me.

Can you guys help?
Thanks! :D

dasein

Re: Desktop Icons

#2 Post by dasein »

NeoFahrenheit wrote:I've used the search function in this forum and the web.
Uh-huh. Surrrrrre you have. :roll:

Here's the thing: it's really pretty easy to check if someone has searched. For instance, I tried the most obvious query I could think of ("add desktop icons KDE") at startpage and got a really great hit right there in the first 10.

It's not enough to say you searched. You actually have to do the search.

And before you dig yourself in any deeper, if you're tempted to repeat your claim that you searched, then describe in detail the specific things you've already tried based on your search, along with the results. ("Nothing happened" is NOT a result.)
Last edited by dasein on 2017-05-20 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

Do you have Synaptic? If so, type icons in the search. You will get a long list including many choices, all from the Debian repository which means you won't have to mess around with hokey installation schemes.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

I'm trying to enable desktop icons on KDE interface, just like Windows
Debian , if that is what the OP is using, is not "just like Windows",... in other words
if you are using the same methods you would use on windows, it just does not work that way.

NeoFahrenheit

#5 Post by NeoFahrenheit »

dasein wrote:
NeoFahrenheit wrote:I've used the search function in this forum and the web.
Uh-huh. Surrrrrre you have. :roll:

Here's the thing: it's really pretty easy to check if someone has searched. For instance, I tried the most obvious query I could think of ("add desktop icons KDE") at startpage and got a really great hit right there in the first 10.

It's not enough to say you searched. You actually have to do the search.

And before you dig yourself in any deeper, if you're tempted to repeat your claim that you searched, then describe in detail the specific things you've already tried based on your search, along with the results. ("Nothing happened" is NOT a result.)
I've tried searching for "Desktop Icons", just like the title of this thread. I've found no thread title in the search results page that could lead me to think that my solution was there.
Maybe I just needed to add some others words, as you suggested above, and I am sorry for that.

Sorry my writing. English isn't my first language.
Thanks for your help. :)
GarryRicketson wrote:
I'm trying to enable desktop icons on KDE interface, just like Windows
Debian , if that is what the OP is using, is not "just like Windows",... in other words
if you are using the same methods you would use on windows, it just does not work that way.
I can add app shortcuts to desktop. But I can't move them across the screen. I can't creat folders in desktop directly. That is was I mean "just like Windows".
Bulkley wrote:Do you have Synaptic? If so, type icons in the search. You will get a long list including many choices, all from the Debian repository which means you won't have to mess around with hokey installation schemes.
I found nothing putting "Synaptic" in the search, but I found "Icons". I couldn't find any option there to solve my problem.
Sorry. I'm new to Linux. ;(

Dai_trying

#6 Post by Dai_trying »

NeoFahrenheit wrote:I can't creat folders in desktop directly. That is was I mean "just like Windows".
I haven't used KDE (current versions) in a while but don't you just right click the desktop and add a "panel"? or something like that?

ruffwoof

#7 Post by ruffwoof »

I haven't used KDE for a while either. IIRC you have to do something like right click the desktop and then desktop settings then choose Layout and set File Manager or Folder View type layout (something like that). Once set up as I recall it KDE icons were quite good in that you can resize and even tilt them. You have to unlock them (or the desktop -again something like that) and then a black bar pops out when you hover over a icon and has the different icon operations that can be made (tilt/resize etc.). Then you relock them so that the popout bar doesn't show every time you move over one of the icons.

NeoFahrenheit

#8 Post by NeoFahrenheit »

Thanks for the help guys.
After some thought, I decided to stick to Windows 10 only for now. (this install/unnistall distro spree caused some problem with Windows)

Sometime in the future, I can buy a SSD to put a LInux distro alone in it.
Maybe by that time I'm more mature to face and fix some problems I faced with all the distros I tested.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

The Debian KDE comes with the generic KDE 4 settings for the desktop, "Desktop View", but you've already been handed the configuration answer in this thread. I prefer to have a nice clean desktop myself, and use the file manager to handle folders and files, but if you don't wish to make the rather simple change to enable what you want, I can't see you having much success with Debian Linux.

That said, I configured the KDE 4 desktop in the respins I did of the Jessie-based MX Linux to show the folders and files on the desktop, because more people asked for it. There's other tweaks and optimization's over Debian's KDE, though I didn't stray too far in the appearance--you can try a Live DVD or USB to see if you like it. Kvantum is also installed in the ISO; that allows a variety of nice KDE stylings. You can easily use it to make it look like the modern flat trendy fashion.

http://iso.mxrepo.com/Snapshots/Community_Respins/

* off topic: Hmmm--should get a zsync file in there for the 64-bit. Zsync is a very cool way to cut down on total download--you can start with a Debian KDE ISO, or actually any file or collection of them, and zsync will compare those to what needs to be downloaded and then just download the difference between the two. The format is

Code: Select all

zsync -i <the file(s) you have> <URL of the zsync file on the server or the zsync file you've downloaded>  
As an example, if you have downloaded my 64-bit KDE respin, you could currently use zsync to cut down on the download of the 32-bit version. I have to admit that I saw that Ubuntu was using zsync first, and it doesn't seem to work OOTB on an https connection.
MX Linux packager and developer

HarborView

#10 Post by HarborView »

Ah, If you had chosen a GTK based UI like XFCE or Mate I could tell you all about icons and give you the program I wrote for installing my personal ones.

So right-clicking on the KDE desktop does not give you a pop up menu?

Please note that Microsoft uses <b>LINK</b> to refer to a desktop icon but in Linux that is called a <b>LAUNCHER</b>.

phenest

#11 Post by phenest »

HarborView wrote:Please note that Microsoft uses <b>LINK</b> to refer to a desktop icon but in Linux that is called a <b>LAUNCHER</b>.
Actually, desktop files, or launchers, are nothing to do with Linux. It is a Freedesktop standard. See here: Desktop Entry Specification
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D