Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED} BlueGriffon

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Ezingers

[SOLVED} BlueGriffon

#1 Post by Ezingers »

I downloaded free version of Blue Griffon to work on my webpage so I could design it using CSS3 and HTML5. The file is in a .tar.bz2 format. How do I go about installing this on Debian 8.8.0?
Last edited by Ezingers on 2017-05-23 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

debiman

Re: BlueGriffon

#2 Post by debiman »

search the forums for bluegriffon, i'm sure something useful will turn up.

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

I almost thought this was a "double post", but it is a different user,...
any way , see this recent discussion:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 64#p644676

golinux

#4 Post by golinux »

What's with these kids that can't open a text editor to create a site . . . In the end, instant makes stupid imo.
May the FORK be with you!

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Learning to use a search engine first is perhaps the most important thing.
How to install BlueGriffon on Debian
In fact, understanding a little about using a search engine will help one understand
what is needed in their web site to help the search engines find it when people do searches.
On Blue Griffon, since it is not a Debian package, in the Debian repositories , their
are not much results specific to Debian.
This should be something else to consider, so before downloading anything from
random websites one should read this:
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
The OP does not mention where they downloaded the file. But I notice at the Blue Griffon
web site , one of the results from the above search string, they do not offer the manual
for free, it appears one has to pay for it,...cute,...they offer the program as opensource and
for free, but you have to pay for the manual, that in it self would be enough to convince me I do not need it.
From their website,and the manual link:
We sell our User's Manual because selling it allows us to keep improving BlueGriffon, a software that is and will remain Open Source. Please note that buyers of BlueGriffon licenses get the User's Manual for free with their purchase. Please note the manual is not open source or redistributable.
Since this is very commercial software, I do not want to post links to the web site, my thoughts had been to suggest reading the manual, I would expect it would include installation instructions on installing it.

Any way, in the other thread, Steve mentions the do have it in the MX repositories.
Did the OP try ?:
How to install a .tar.bz2 file on debian
One of many hits:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... stribution

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

golinux wrote:What's with these kids that can't open a text editor to create a site . . . In the end, instant makes stupid imo.
i once was asked to fix a site created with one of those WYSIWYG editors.
the code was so horrible that i just rewrote it from scratch in the end... on a WISIWIT editor of course.

but in defence of op i have to say that WYSIWYG HTML editors are a thing of the www of the 90s, and as such probably most craved for by somewhat older people.