Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Move desktop/appearance settings from root to regular user

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
quentinthornton

Move desktop/appearance settings from root to regular user

#1 Post by quentinthornton »

Hey guys, I spent quite a while making the appearance and desktop how I wanted it. I thought that it would stay the same throughout all the users if I changed everything within the root user. It didn't. So now I'm trying to figure out how to copy all the appearance and desktop settings from the root user to another user, named quentin. Is there any way to do this? Thanks

stevepusser

Re: Move desktop/appearance settings from root to regular us

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, root is a separate user with super powers, not a template that new accounts have their settings cloned from (that's cloned from /etc/skel)

Root's home folder is /root. You can try copying the settings out of there manually to clone the appearance--but use /etc/skel for new account creation.
MX Linux packager and developer

quentinthornton

#3 Post by quentinthornton »

Thanks for the reply stevepusser
I don't understand what you mean by
stevepusser wrote:but use /etc/skel for new account creation.
But I tried using the file manager, showing all the hidden files, selecting all of them (in the /root directory) and pasting them into the (/home/quentin) directory. Then I went in and changed ownership of all the files in the /home/quentin directory by doing this:
chown -R quentin:quentin /home/quentin

Then I logged out, and logged into the quentin account. All it showed was the desktop image with nothing else. I couldn't right click or do anything. So, that didn't work. I also tried copying the files from /etc/skel into /home/quentin (along with changing the ownership) and that didn't work either. Any other ideas what to do? Thanks

golinux

#4 Post by golinux »

Start by never logging into the desktop as root. Not EVER! You didn't even tell us what DE you're using. That could make a difference where files are stored.
May the FORK be with you!

alan stone

#5 Post by alan stone »

quentinthornton wrote:I thought that it would stay the same throughout all the users if I changed everything within the root user.
FYI.

quentinthornton

#6 Post by quentinthornton »

golinux wrote:You didn't even tell us what DE you're using. That could make a difference where files are stored.
Sorry about that

I'm running Debian Stretch rc3 amd64. It's fully up to date and I'm using the xfce desktop.

furquan

#7 Post by furquan »

quentinthornton wrote:Thanks for the reply stevepusser
I don't understand what you mean by
stevepusser wrote:but use /etc/skel for new account creation.
From LINFO (http://www.linfo.org/etc_skel.html):
The /etc/skel directory contains files and directories that are automatically copied over to a new user's home directory when such user is created by the useradd program.
If you look into the directory by using ls -a /etc/skel you will see something like this:

Code: Select all

$ ls --all /etc/skel
.  ..  .bash_logout  .bashrc  .profile
If you want settings to stay consistent between users then add the relevant files to this directory. For example, if I want to have consistent behavior of the compton compositor between users I'll just copy the relevant config file there.

Code: Select all

# mkdir /etc/skel/.config && cp ~/.config/compton.conf /etc/skel/.config/compton.conf
quentinthornton wrote:But I tried using the file manager, showing all the hidden files, selecting all of them (in the /root directory) and pasting them into the (/home/quentin) directory. Then I went in and changed ownership of all the files in the /home/quentin directory by doing this:
chown -R quentin:quentin /home/quentin

Then I logged out, and logged into the quentin account. All it showed was the desktop image with nothing else. I couldn't right click or do anything. So, that didn't work. I also tried copying the files from /etc/skel into /home/quentin (along with changing the ownership) and that didn't work either. Any other ideas what to do? Thanks
You should never run X as root. NEVER. Copying all the hidden files of one user's home into another's is not a good idea. First you should have determined what settings you want to keep between users and then found out where these settings are, and only then you should have copied the relevant files.
quentinthornton wrote:
golinux wrote:You didn't even tell us what DE you're using. That could make a difference where files are stored.
Sorry about that

I'm running Debian Stretch rc3 amd64. It's fully up to date and I'm using the xfce desktop.
Since you're on Xfce the relevant place for most of the desktop settings should be ~/.config/xfce4 . But it all depends on what settings you changed and if you're using third-party applications or not (like compton). If you have installed themes per user them you might also have to copy ~/.themes directory but as I said before, it all depends on what settings you have changed.
The source code for the kernel, library, etc. should fit on one diskette. Sources for the GNU utilities will vary (and will be big). The sources to GNU emacs will take at least 3 disks. -- Theodore Ts'o, 1992 (distributing the first Linux disks)

n_hologram

#8 Post by n_hologram »

In addition to what everyone else said, if you do need to copy any configuration files from /root, make sure you update permissions/ownership.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

quentinthornton

#9 Post by quentinthornton »

Thanks for your help guys. I ended up copying the .icons and .themes files from the root user, chown of them, then redid everything that I did before.

furquan

#10 Post by furquan »

quentinthornton wrote:Thanks for your help guys. I ended up copying the .icons and .themes files from the root user, chown of them, then redid everything that I did before.
Good to know that you got your problem fixed. In the future, read up on /etc/skel and use it. It will save you these problems and you won't waste your time trying to copy stuff from one user to another.
The source code for the kernel, library, etc. should fit on one diskette. Sources for the GNU utilities will vary (and will be big). The sources to GNU emacs will take at least 3 disks. -- Theodore Ts'o, 1992 (distributing the first Linux disks)