Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Teamspeak 3 server setup

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Huecuva

[Solved] Teamspeak 3 server setup

#1 Post by Huecuva »

Hi.

It's me again. I seem to be having some problems setting up a teamspeak 3 server. I was partially following the tutorial on the Debian tutorials blogspot but also this one. That latter one suggests making some other files like the blacklist and whitelist files and an ini file. Debian allowed me to create the blacklist file but then when I tried to create the whitelist file it said permission denied, as it also did when I tried to create the ini file in the tutorial. Since most tutorials, indeed even the one on the Debian tutorials blogspot, make no mention of these files and in fact simply go on to start the script with

Code: Select all

./ts3server_startscript.sh start
I decided to just forget the rest of the files and start the sever. The following screenshot explains better than I can. Image
I'm pretty sure the problem is because .. (whatever that is) is not owned by teamspeak. I have no idea how to correct that issue, as the .owner of /home/teamspeak/ is teamspeak and I'm not sure how to reference .. using the chown command. Having given that up, I decided to continue following the debian blogspot tutorial and make the suggested startup script. However, when the tutorial says use the kill command on the pid it says that the number is the pid shown in top -u teamspeak, which he says to run to see if teamspeak si running. When I run top -u teamspeak, there is no pid or anything. Teamspeak is not running.

Can anyone please tell me what I'm missing?

Forgive me if this thread is in the wrong place. I would simply have asked on the Teamspeak forum but apparently something in my post offended their forum and it blocked me. It says I can contact the forum owner but it doesn't say how. I couldn't find a better suited forum on this message board for this sort of question.

Thanks.
Last edited by Huecuva on 2017-06-18 00:34, edited 3 times in total.

dasein

Re: Teamspeak 3 server setup

#2 Post by dasein »

Huecuva wrote:I'm pretty sure the problem is because .. (whatever that is) is not owned by teamspeak.
That'd be a good guess.

(And '..' is the "parent" of whatever directory you're currently in.)
I'm not sure how to reference .. using the chown command.
Try

cd ..
and then proceed exactly as directed by the man page for chown (but you'll have to do it as root).

Huecuva

#3 Post by Huecuva »

That's weird, since the folder I'm currently in is /home/teamspeak/. So I have to change the ownership of the /home/ folder to teamspeak? Wouldn't that screw with my main user account? The tutorial I followed makes no mention of making a subfolder inside the teamspeak home server for the server files. In fact, it says to extract them right in the teamspeak home folder itself. Is this inaccurate? Do I need to make a sub folder?

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

Huecuva wrote:That's weird, since the folder I'm currently in is /home/teamspeak/. So I have to change the ownership of the /home/ folder to teamspeak?
Sorry, glib answer caused by insufficient attention.

The actual problem is that the directory is owned by teamspeak, but you're logged in as mike. You need to su to teamspeak. No chown required.

Kudos to you for your skepticism. My apologies.

Huecuva

#5 Post by Huecuva »

That actually makes more sense, now that I examine the startup script that the debian tutorials blogspot had me create a little more closely. It does exactly that, su to teamspeak. I had noticed the last time I booted the server up that it said during boot that it had started the server and found it rather curious. I had discounted the possibility that it could actually be running properly, though. It turns out neither the ./ command nor the kill signal were necessary, simply a reboot of the server. I keep thinking this is going to be harder than it actually is.

Huecuva

#6 Post by Huecuva »

Turns out this isn't solved after all.

After completely removing my teamspeak installation and starting more or less from scratch, I now have the initial teamspeak server admin password that the server gives you the first time you start it.

However, my problem now is that the server doesn't stay started. The start command works but the server itself seems to immediately crash once it's started. The top -u teamspeak command shows nothing running. When I su to teamspeak and then run

./ts3server_startscript.sh start
from within the /home/teamspeak/ folder the server seems to start but it says that the teamspeak pid is found but no server is running. Check the logs for more details. It won't let me read the logs. When I then run

./ts3server_startscript.sh status
immediately after, it says the server seems to have died.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Thanks.