Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Lots of SSH request from unknown IP's

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
alete

Lots of SSH request from unknown IP's

#1 Post by alete »

Hi, everyone, I got my debian up and running in my LattePanda. It's purpose is just experimental, I'm learning/having fun.
Today, when I was trying to learn about systemd I found that I have numerous tries to connect through SSH from IP's that I've already googled and seems like a brute force attack.
Here is my

Code: Select all

sudo journalctl | grep sshd
https://pastebin.com/ZRppGtbE

Notice that they are all from today. Should I be worry? Could it be something I triggered somehow? I cannot turn SSH off, because the system is headless. But should I do something at all?

Thanks for your advices.

dasein

Re: Lots of SSH request from unknown IP's

#2 Post by dasein »

alete wrote:I cannot turn SSH off, because the system is headless. But should I do something at all?
Depends on what you've already done/can do.

I'm assuming that you have some compelling reason why this machine simply must be publicly accessible. Any public-facing system will be probed for weakness(es). That's the part you can't control.

Things you can control:
  • - Shut down any daemons you don't absolutely need
    - Consider using SSH keys instead of passwords
    - Strongly consider disabling root login via SSH
    - Consider port knocking

hexadeximal

#3 Post by hexadeximal »

consider using fail2ban to block IPs after a certain amount of failed ssh login attempts

alete

#4 Post by alete »

Thanks both. I'm already on it.