Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

bumblebee not working how to get Nvidia enabled

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
dirkme

bumblebee not working how to get Nvidia enabled

#1 Post by dirkme »

OK, this is kind of a follow up post.

I have a strixs ASUS laptop with Nvidia 1050 primus graphic card and a Intel HD 630.

Bumblebee just freezes the system and causes huge problems. Have given up after many many reinstalls on stretch.

However, Xubuntu's hardware driver thing, did let me install Nvidia Graphic Drivers and there is even an option to switch back to Intel Graphics if I would want to.

However, how can I get that setup on Debian Stretch? Debian Strech, doesn't even see my Nvidia Graphic Card.

stevepusser

Re: bumblebee not working how to get Nvidia enabled

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Doesn't Stretch automatically use the kernel modesetting driver for recent Intel graphics? Try updating inxi to the latest release, which I think fixed a bug in the detection, and see what "inxi -G" says about that for Intel. You should be be able to force use of the "intel" driver with the use of a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf file if you get modesetting as a result to see if that gets it working.
MX Linux packager and developer

dirkme

#3 Post by dirkme »

stevepusser wrote:Doesn't Stretch automatically use the kernel modesetting driver for recent Intel graphics? Try updating inxi to the latest release, which I think fixed a bug in the detection, and see what "inxi -G" says about that for Intel. You should be be able to force use of the "intel" driver with the use of a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf file if you get modesetting as a result to see if that gets it working.
I would be happy just running the NVIDIA Card like on Xubuntu, they installed nvidia-prime and that is set to Nvidia and I could switch between Nidvia and Intel if I wanted to.

dirkme

#4 Post by dirkme »

Just wanted to let you guys know, Solus has that option to install Nvidia drivers and run Nvidia Graphics at all times, which is totally fine by me ;-)

Can Debian do the same?

dirkme

#5 Post by dirkme »

That's sad, Debian 9 is a very good release, very snappy and just awsome, but can't handle Nvidia primus Graphic Cards :-(

Xubuntu and Solus it is then, thanks for everyone trying to help.

dirkme

#7 Post by dirkme »

Sorry, but Jessie is to far behind, last time I tried I had the typical sound issues on a different laptop and I am very discouraged to try Jessie again.

But thanks for the reply.

dirkme

#8 Post by dirkme »

Guys, I am not going away, if Solus and Xubuntu can do load the Nvidia Prime driver, then Debian should be able too, just need help fro m some people with deeper inside than i have. :shock: :o :D

dirkme

#10 Post by dirkme »

what is this about???

GarryRicketson

#11 Post by GarryRicketson »

by dirkme »what is this about???
READ it and you will see what it is about.

dirkme

#12 Post by dirkme »

GarryRicketson wrote:
by dirkme »what is this about???
READ it and you will see what it is about.
You would be one of the
not knowing anything advice giver from Arch
Read the arch wiki.

You know what, if you can't contribute, that is not a problem, but giving me this crap, just fck off you forum Nazi.

Bulkley

#13 Post by Bulkley »

dirkme, your last comment was uncalled for. Since Solus and Xubuntu can do what you want I suggest you pick one and go there.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Indeed - have a holiday.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...