Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

fix grub

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
noobguy3

fix grub

#1 Post by noobguy3 »

hi,my grub is broken,i have a multiboot,debian,manjaro and windows,i want to fix my grub whitout broke my ohter distro (manjaro).thanks for your time and forgive my bad english

Wheelerof4te

Re: fix grub

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Can you log into Debian?

If Grub is installed (it should be) run

Code: Select all

update-grub
as root in terminal. Reboot.

Where did you install it at the end of Debian installation?

noobguy3

#3 Post by noobguy3 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Can you log into Debian?

update-grub

My grub broke later I made a new active partition to save personal data,manjaro was my last dsitro,update-grub will broke manjaro?sorry for my bad english

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Try to do that update-grub while using Debian. What do you mean "manjaro was my last distro"?

The best is to wait for someone else to give you advice.

EDIT: Good that you made a separate partition, but back up your data on USB or external HDD too, if you can.

noobguy3

#5 Post by noobguy3 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Try to do that update-grub while using Debian. What do you mean "manjaro was my last distro"?

The best is to wait for someone else to give you advice.

EDIT: Good that you made a separate partition, but back up your data on USB or external HDD too, if you can.
I have a multiboot,1 windows and 2 linux,manjaro was my last linux distro installed

noobguy3

#6 Post by noobguy3 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Can you log into Debian?

update-grub

i did that but the grub still broken,i don't want broke my other distro too (manjaro)

Dai_trying

#7 Post by Dai_trying »

You could try booting into manjaro and updating grub from there as it may still be in control of the settings.

Wheelerof4te

#8 Post by Wheelerof4te »

EDIT: Or do as Dai_trying said and post back.

If you reinstall Debian on the same partition as you did before, it could work out fine. As long as you don't format Manjaro partition(s), GRUB should pick up all OSs. Just watch WHERE you install GRUB at the end of Debian installation.

Read this for more info:
https://wiki.debian.org/Grub

noobguy3

#9 Post by noobguy3 »

hi,i finally "reinstall the grub"but now Manjaro does not appear in the grub,i wrote update-grub for try manjaro appear but i see on the terminal appear manjaro but when i reboot the pc manjaro does not appear.sorry for my bad english

Wheelerof4te

#10 Post by Wheelerof4te »

What does happen when you reboot? To what distro it boots? Have you read grub wiki page I gave you?

If you have backed up data try Boot repair disk:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

to salvage grub.
Since you haven't gave us any details we can only speculate what errors prevent Manjaro from booting. Best is to reinstall distro you wanna use (either Manjaro or Debian) and restore your backed up data, if any.

noobguy3

#11 Post by noobguy3 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:What does happen when you reboot? To what distro it boots? Have you read grub wiki page I gave you?

If you have backed up data try Boot repair disk:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

to salvage grub.
Since you haven't gave us any details we can only speculate what errors prevent Manjaro from booting. Best is to reinstall distro you wanna use (either Manjaro or Debian) and restore your backed up data, if any.
hi,boot repair disk say i have to add linux-generic repository on my debian also my grub is broken again, can you pass me that repo?,sorry for my bad english and forgive my ignorance

Wheelerof4te

#12 Post by Wheelerof4te »

linux-generic is a package from Ubuntu, not a repository. You don't need it, just put (as in make a bootable disc/USB) Boot Repair disc on the CD/DVD or USB and run it as live image. From there you can repair your system and GRUB. There are guides on the Internet for that.

noobguy3

#13 Post by noobguy3 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:linux-generic is a package from Ubuntu, not a repository. You don't need it, just put (as in make a bootable disc/USB) Boot Repair disc on the CD/DVD or USB and run it as live image. From there you can repair your system and GRUB. There are guides on the Internet for that.
hi i still stuck,can you tell mo how use grub repair disk i am a newbie

Wheelerof4te

#14 Post by Wheelerof4te »

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot- ... oot-Repair

Ok, read this and tell me what happens. Do it exactly as described here. If you already have Boot repair disc on a USB or DVD you don't have to get Ubuntu live image. Just skip to using boot repair.

noobguy3

#15 Post by noobguy3 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot- ... oot-Repair

Ok, read this and tell me what happens. Do it exactly as described here. If you already have Boot repair disc on a USB or DVD you don't have to get Ubuntu live image. Just skip to using boot repair.
hi,i have used rescatux but i sitll stuck,manjaro don't appear

Wheelerof4te

#16 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I am sorry, but I can't help you any more than this. Try asking on the Manjaro forum:

https://forum.manjaro.org/