Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

N00b looking for help with auto login [SOLVED]

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
road hazard

N00b looking for help with auto login [SOLVED]

#1 Post by road hazard »

Previous Windows user, now a recent Linux convert and looking for help.

Been playing around with Mint for 6-12 months and decided to test out Debian 9. Can somebody tell me (using very detailed steps) how to make my Debian install auto-login when the computer starts? I'm using the Cinnamon desktop.

Thanks

UPDATE: Recently I reloaded my system for a 3rd time and it looks like the netinstall image I used, grabbed some new version of SOMETHING last night as I no longer had the option to pick between gdm3 and lightdm during the setup. Using the Cinnamon desktop, it defaulted to lightdm and I was able to easily edit the lightdm.conf file to automatically log me in.
Last edited by road hazard on 2017-06-23 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

dasein

Re: N00b looking for help with auto login

#2 Post by dasein »

The single best way for "beginners" to keep these fora cruft-free is to at least attempt a search before posting a question, particularly when it's a question that has almost certainly been asked before.

Oh wait, you asked for step-by-step...

1) Go here: http://www.linuxserve.com/2015/06/how-t ... ebian.html

2) Read

3) Profit!

(And before you dig yourself into an even deeper hole by swearing you did too search ("for hours" :roll:), realize that people who have actually searched don't need to ask for step-by-step instructions when countless step-by-step tutorials are already available.)

road hazard

#3 Post by road hazard »

dasein wrote:The single best way for "beginners" to keep these fora cruft-free is to at least attempt a search before posting a question, particularly when it's a question that has almost certainly been asked before.

Oh wait, you asked for step-by-step...

1) Go here: http://www.linuxserve.com/2015/06/how-t ... ebian.html

2) Read

3) Profit!

(And before you dig yourself into an even deeper hole by swearing you did too search ("for hours" :roll:), realize that people who have actually searched don't need to ask for step-by-step instructions when countless step-by-step tutorials are already available.)
Already read that link and /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf doesn't exist on my drive.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Then look for instructions for the dm that you are running.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

road hazard

#5 Post by road hazard »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:Then look for instructions for the dm that you are running.
Already did that as well. I keep seeing lots of posts about editing stuff in /etc/gdm3/ or /etc/gdm/ to setup auto-login but despite picking gdm3 during install, I only see a /etc/lightdm folder. I have no idea why I don't have a /etc/gdm3 folder. Heck, I even searched my entire drive for that folder and it's not there.

Maybe it's a bug in the Debian 9 installer that it ignores the dm choice and defaults to lightdm?

ruffwoof

#6 Post by ruffwoof »

In /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf somewhere around line 117 (at least in mine), you need to uncomment a line and add the userid of the user you want to auto-login

autologin-user=user

Thorny

#7 Post by Thorny »

road hazard wrote: Already read that link and /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf doesn't exist on my drive.
Well, gdm3 is #1 on that link and #2 is the instruction for lightdm. Since you have lightdm, probably you should follow the #2 instruction.

Since you write that you wanted gdm3 maybe it would also be a good idea to review this link that describes various DMs and how to change them.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/choose-swi ... -managers/

What people are trying to do is lead you to a path that will help you to help yourself by emphasizing the points covered in this post by a forum administrator. http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47078

Especially with questions that are common and already covered fully with step-by-step answers, it is faster for you to search them out yourself than post and wait for someone else to post an answer. Doing that, you only have to post a question when you don't understand something about a solution that you've found and it can be a very specific question. Chances are good by helping yourself in this manner, soon, you won't have to ask many questions. Many of the posters here have as ultimate goal, help people learn to help themselves with Debian.

dasein

#8 Post by dasein »

road hazard wrote:Already read that link...
Clearly untrue. Because if you actually read it, you'd know that it covered more than GDM. (busted!)

I offered the obvious caution: introducing yourself to a new community as lazy is bad; introducing yourself as lazy and deceitful is worse. Pity you chose not to listen.

Caitlin

#9 Post by Caitlin »

Sometimes I go to the Mint or Ubuntu forum to get a question like this answered (even though I don't have Mint or Ubuntu). They are less likely to beat you up for asking it in the first place.

Caitlin

dcihon

#10 Post by dcihon »

+1

GarryRicketson

#11 Post by GarryRicketson »

They are less likely to beat you up for asking it in the first place.
And more likely to give a solution that effectively breaks the system.

Unless of course you are using one of those 2 distros.

road hazard

#12 Post by road hazard »

dasein wrote:
Clearly untrue. Because if you actually read it, you'd know that it covered more than GDM. (busted!)

I offered the obvious caution: introducing yourself to a new community as lazy is bad; introducing yourself as lazy and deceitful is worse. Pity you chose not to listen.
And you introduce yourself to n00bs as a condescending prick. Clearly you lack reading skills and spend your time bashing new comers. Why are you in this section?

As I stated before, WHEN I INSTALLED DEBIAN 9, I PICKED GDM3. LOOKING AT THAT LINK, I ZEROED IN ON THE GDM3 SECTION. ON MY INSTALL OF DEBIAN 9, I DO NOT HAVE A /ETC/GDM3 FOLDER. The rest of that link does NOT apply in my situation since I didn't pick lightdm during the initial install. So tell me Mr. Wizard.... if I picked gdm3 during install and don't have files at the location your link points to, how exactly am I not reading the link?!?!?!

Wow, did I step into a time warp? This is shades of Linux support forums from decades ago where new comers are treated like garbage. Way to help your cause! BTW, I've been looking into the Linux world a LOT lately. I've tested out a bunch of distros and asked for help on many support forums (Arch, Mint, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Suse, Manjaro, Antergos) and in all my past few months, this is the first time I've been bashed asking for help in the n00b section of ANY distro. I was treated VERY well in Arch forums. ARCH!

Try and guess what my opinion of Debian is now.

Wheelerof4te

#13 Post by Wheelerof4te »

First try installing gdm3 package again:

Code: Select all

su -
apt-get install gdm3
Now follow that link dasein gave you to the letter. You should reboot first to make sure you are using GDM, not LightDM.

If you need to change it, run:

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
as root.

Lysander

#14 Post by Lysander »

road hazard wrote:
dasein wrote:

And you introduce yourself to n00bs as a condescending prick. Clearly you lack reading skills and spend your time bashing new comers. Why are you in this section?

As I stated before, WHEN I INSTALLED DEBIAN 9, I PICKED GDM3. LOOKING AT THAT LINK, I ZEROED IN ON THE GDM3 SECTION. ON MY INSTALL OF DEBIAN 9, I DO NOT HAVE A /ETC/GDM3 FOLDER. The rest of that link does NOT apply in my situation since I didn't pick lightdm during the initial install. So tell me Mr. Wizard.... if I picked gdm3 during install and don't have files at the location your link points to, how exactly am I not reading the link?!?!?!

Wow, did I step into a time warp? This is shades of Linux support forums from decades ago where new comers are treated like garbage. Way to help your cause! BTW, I've been looking into the Linux world a LOT lately. I've tested out a bunch of distros and asked for help on many support forums (Arch, Mint, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Suse, Manjaro, Antergos) and in all my past few months, this is the first time I've been bashed asking for help in the n00b section of ANY distro. I was treated VERY well in Arch forums. ARCH!

Try and guess what my opinion of Debian is now.
I haven't been here long but much of the time new users [or new posters] appear to come here with queries that have not only been covered previously in this forum, but for which there is already existent information on on the net. Statistically, someone else has probably encountered your problem before and it will have been addressed somewhere.

It doesn't matter if it's a computing forum or other forums - I have been on other non-computing forums where people ask questions that have already been asked before - and it does get rather irksome for the regulars since it proves little research has been done, and in the time taken to post and wait, the user could have read many articles and probably solved their issue. On the Ubuntu/Mint forums they are used to newcomers and such hand-holding is expected [well, for the most part, I did see someone ask for the steps "to be pointed out" and it was refused]. It is not expected on here since Debian is considered an intermediate distro. If the Arch forums are accommodating then well, that's nice.

I think it's best to have a thorough read around [I'm starting to sound like a broken record] and come back to show what you've read, what you've tried and what did and didn't work, then things can progress - theoretically - from there. That's if you don't get suspended for swearing at another forum member first.

Caitlin

#15 Post by Caitlin »

ruffwoof wrote:In /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf somewhere around line 117 (at least in mine), you need to uncomment a line and add the userid of the user you want to auto-login

autologin-user=user
Some more details ...

In the abovementioned file, look for something that says [Seat:*] (Debian 9) or [SeatDefaults] (Debian 8 ). Any changes you make need to be done AFTER this line.

With an editor that has read-write access to the file, uncomment "#autologin-user=" and put the name of the user to be logged on after the = sign. While you're at it, uncomment "#autologin-user-timeout=0". Save and reboot to test.

Caitlin

road hazard

#16 Post by road hazard »

Lysander wrote: I haven't been here long but much of the time new users [or new posters] appear to come here with queries that have not only been covered previously in this forum, but for which there is already existent information on on the net. Statistically, someone else has probably encountered your problem before and it will have been addressed somewhere.

It doesn't matter if it's a computing forum or other forums - I have been on other non-computing forums where people ask questions that have already been asked before - and it does get rather irksome for the regulars since it proves little research has been done, and in the time taken to post and wait, the user could have read many articles and probably solved their issue. On the Ubuntu/Mint forums they are used to newcomers and such hand-holding is expected [well, for the most part, I did see someone ask for the steps "to be pointed out" and it was refused]. It is not expected on here since Debian is considered an intermediate distro. If the Arch forums are accommodating then well, that's nice.

I think it's best to have a thorough read around [I'm starting to sound like a broken record] and come back to show what you've read, what you've tried and what did and didn't work, then things can progress - theoretically - from there. That's if you don't get suspended for swearing at another forum member first.
I understand but as much as it sucks, people need to stop assuming that every time somebody asks a question, they haven't done any research beforehand.

I spent about an hour searching and trying to figure this out myself before posting for help. In the beginners section. Where newcomers are suppose to ask for help.

Not to sounds like a smarty pants but if every question has already been asked and answered for every problem that could ever pop up for anything. Why do we even need support forums where people can create new topics? Every forum should be set to a 'read only' with a big sticky that just says, "Whatever your about to ask has already been asked and answered. Use the search button!'

If I'm banned for calling out somebody for being a douche, so be it. I'm already losing interest in Debian because of Dasein's attitude.

orythem27

#17 Post by orythem27 »

road hazard wrote:As I stated before, WHEN I INSTALLED DEBIAN 9, I PICKED GDM3
I haven't used the debian installer for a while, (no need to reinstall...) but this is the part I did not understand. How can you pick display manager during installation? IIRC display manager is automatically choosed depending on your choice of desktop environment. e.g. GNOME-gdm, Xfce-lightdm, KDE-sddm

road hazard

#18 Post by road hazard »

orythem27 wrote:
road hazard wrote:As I stated before, WHEN I INSTALLED DEBIAN 9, I PICKED GDM3
I haven't used the debian installer for a while, (no need to reinstall...) but this is the part I did not understand. How can you pick display manager during installation? IIRC display manager is automatically choosed depending on your choice of desktop environment. e.g. GNOME-gdm, Xfce-lightdm, KDE-sddm
During the install you are first asked which display manager you want. I picked gdm3. Later in the install, you can select the desktop environment you want. First time around, I selected practically all of them because I just wanted to get a feel for each. Second time around, I picked only Cinnamon (and gdm3) and either way, no /etc/gdm3 folder is on my system.

sgage

#19 Post by sgage »

road hazard wrote: If I'm banned for calling out somebody for being a douche, so be it. I'm already losing interest in Debian because of Dasein's attitude.
I am no beginner (computers since 1979, Linux since 1997), but I totally hear you. I have left Debian a couple of times over the years because of some incredible displays of arrogance and snotty snark, especially (but not limited to) this forum. Dasein is a real beauty, for sure. There are a couple of others. The Debian "community" can be rather harsh. I wonder if they know, or even care, how many people they've driven away from Debian. Maybe they like feeling special and elite. Whatever.

There are many distros in Linux-land, some with very welcoming and patient helpers on their forums. Especially their 'Beginner' forums. Yes, it's great to get people to search for answers, but sometimes nothing helpful comes up. Search engines these days suck, often giving years-old results that aren't really applicable. And within-forum search engines suck harder, often giving no results at all.

Anyway, sorry about your experience here. Debian Stable is one heckuva rock-solid distro, if you can stick with it...

GarryRicketson

#20 Post by GarryRicketson »

What a bunch of BS, if someone does not like Debian, it is no fault of Dasein, nor anyone
else on this forum,...
I could see, maybe if someone does not like the responses they get on this forum, then
logically, they would look for other means or places to do their whining, If they don't like Linux, then don't use it, they should stick with windows, of course some people never
can learn from their own mistakes, Why ? , because they are so busy blaming every body else for the problems they have , instead of looking at the real problem and trying to figure out what it is they are doing wrong.
The best way to do that is to read manuals, and documentation, try various solutions,
etc. If things still don't work as desired, try again, looking for ones own mistakes,... blaming everybody else is a crock of BS, and will never solve anything.

I keep using the OS I prefer, what gossips, and trolls say on a forum has nothing to
do with if I keep using that OS or not.

If the OS , is simply poorly designed, and mal-ware,..obviously I don't use it , IE: MS windows, linux mint, ubuntu,...But I certainly don't blame anyone at the
MS windows forum, or any forum,.. It is simply because those OS's do not suit my needs.

I have had people try to blame me as well, but it is not my fault they simply do not
like Linux or Debian, and can not figure it out,... even though Linux is one of the
most user-friendly systems available, ... it does seem to have a way of choosing who
it is friendly with though.
If Debian or whatever is not what you like, then no problem, don't use it,... but don't try blaming 1or 2 forum members, that have nothing to do with the making,and development of the OS.
That is just plain silly.