Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

jmtpfs - device confusion

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
n_hologram

jmtpfs - device confusion

#1 Post by n_hologram »

Good evening,

I'm posting this here, but if this is more of an Android problem than a Debian one, please forgive me, and I'll take this to the LineageOS forums instead. I'm new to jmtpfs, so I don't know if this is some new, unusual behavior with that program, or just the phone.

I'm trying to perform what I thought was a pretty simple task: mounting my android device, and transfering some files or folders onto the external storage (a Micro SD card formatted as ext4 without journaling).
jmtpfs mounts the phone just fine on /media/android, which I've chowned and whatnot. (Since Android removed the ability to mount as a USB mass storage device, the MTP protocol is the only file transfer solution I'm aware of.) Permissions are set correctly and can be modified without issue. There are two folders: "extsdcard" and "internal storage".

Expected behavior: the folder transfers to /media/android/extsdcard, and I can view these on extsdcard within the Android device.

Actual behavior:
-According to the Debian system, and two other Debian systems, the folder is transferred to extsdcard
-However, according to the Android system, the folder was actually transferred to "internal storage," and shows up there

This is very strange to me, so I would appreciate any help.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

Nili

Re: jmtpfs - device confusion

#2 Post by Nili »

Hello n_hologram!

I use jmtpfs too, i simple wanted a cli tool to transfer files from Android to Debian or vice versa, so jmtpfs i find a very good tool.
Maybe you know how to do (install/config) but i'll show how i did mine that worked, still do works just fine on my side...

Month ago installed only jmtpfs

Code: Select all

Start-Date: 2017-05-06  14:50:43
Commandline: apt-get install jmtpfs --no-install-recommends
Install: libmtp9:i386 (1.1.8-1+b1, automatic), jmtpfs:i386 (0.5-2), libmtp-common:i386 (1.1.8-1, automatic)
End-Date: 2017-05-06  14:50:46
Then i stoped on wiki.debian/mtp to learn how to do...

My first station was here:
Commandline
1. I first created a folder named phone to: /mnt

/mnt/phone
2. later i've given write access to this folder

sudo chown nili:nili /mnt/phone
3. I created two aliases on .bashrc @home.

alias phone="jmtpfs /mnt/phone"
alias unphone="fusermount -u /mnt/phone"
1rs alias named "phone" mount the Android once pluged on system via phone cable/usb
2nd alias named "unphone" safety to remove phone from system before disconnecting usb cable.

NOTE:
Make sure your phone is not locked when you write those two commands (or atleast the mount ones).
a) On your console (ie urxvt/xterm/st,terminator) write "phone"
Allow access to phone data? A request will appear
Press Allow

nili ~ $ phone
Device 0 (VID=04e8 and PID=6860) is a Samsung Galaxy models (MTP).
LIBMTP ERROR: couldnt parse extension samsung.com/devicestatus:1
nili ~ $ 
b) back on console write "unphone" wait 2secs...
c) write again "phone"

nili ~ $ phone
Device 0 (VID=04e8 and PID=6860) is a Samsung Galaxy models (MTP).
LIBMTP ERROR: couldnt parse extension samsung.com/devicestatus:0
nili ~ $ 
You'll note the "devicestatus:0" changed from 1 to 0, at this point my phone is mounted correctly also ready to access files inside "/mnt/phone".

Note: The "LIBMTP ERROR" i can safely ignore, i haven't find a fix for it but Isn't a major concern.
You can change the aliases names of phone to your wish.
.mtpz-data errors, a fixed is found on this link

I use SpaceFM file manager. Command line for mount / unmount. It is not an ideal or practical but efficient and finishing solution for me. I have created a bookmar folder name "My Phone" once i active from console i reach bookmark very quick.

Hope you'll fix your concern. Write us again if it works for you too, Or maybe someone else comes up with better ideas/solutions than mine.

Best regards,
Nili

EDIT: I'm afraid I've read your message completely wrong. I thought you had trouble accessing the phone's folder. DUH!!!
Sorry, I don't have answer on your questions, while my message, I wish to appeal to someone else who will need it.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

n_hologram

Re: jmtpfs - device confusion

#3 Post by n_hologram »

No worries. You made a pretty solid tutorial; sadly, it offers no remedy for my case, but it does shed some hope that it's not a user error (unless someone wants to prove otherwise).

I went ahead and made a pastebin walkthrough, just to detail what exactly it's doing. If I don't hear back from anyone, I'm going to assume this is a bug and report it, because I really can't conceive how this would be "expected" behavior.

https://pastebin.com/WYf3wkQy
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...