Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Weird screen tearing and slow redraws

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
road hazard

Weird screen tearing and slow redraws

#1 Post by road hazard »

I've seen this behavior with the open source NVidia driver and the proprietary one.

Fresh install of Debian 9 and when I move windows around on the screen, everything seems...."choppy". I might not be describing this correctly but it's like the refresh rate/redraw is slow or the CPU is being crushed (it's not though) and the system just can't handle moving some boxes around. It's not smooth, at all.

Something else I've noticed, exactly halfway down the screen, stretching from far left to far right is this sort of "DMZ" for my screen. If I have the file manager in a small box (or terminal) and drag it from the top of my screen to the bottom..... when it reaches the 1/2 way mark, there is really bad screen tearing. I mean, it's like my screen is being rendered by 2 GPUs and they divided the screen between top and bottom and aren't in sync.

I added that 'Pipeline' option to the xorg.conf to address general screen tearing in video playback that NVidia is famous for and with this option added/removed, makes no difference.

debiman

Re: Weird screen tearing and slow redraws

#2 Post by debiman »

please post the output of

Code: Select all

lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display'