Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Root password fail

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
bushy5

Root password fail

#1 Post by bushy5 »

Just installed Debian 9 on a test box, used the same password for user and root. User password works but root does not. Do I have to re-install to correct or is there another solution?

dasein

Re: Root password fail

#2 Post by dasein »

There are at least four existing threads on this exact same question in just the last three days.

Short answer: known bug, supposedly fixed.

Slightly longer answer: check the existing threads for more detail.

bushy5

#3 Post by bushy5 »

Interesting, I had searched using :root password fail: and didn't find anything similar. Is there a better search string?

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

by bushy5 » Do I have to re-install to correct or is there another solution?
Probably no, you shouldn't have to re-install, but you really have not given enough information , also as all ready mentioned there have been several recent threads started
by people having similar problems.
There are many various Debian 9 ISO (images) for installing Debian, you do not tell us
which image you used.
In particular, the Live images had some problems, supposedly they are fixed.
Have you tried setting a new root password,..?
Do you know how to do that ? A search: keywords;

Code: Select all

How set lost root password 
One , of many : http://www.debianadmin.com/how-to-reset ... sword.html
In one of the other threads, part of the problem is the OP gets upset, and the thread gets hard to follow, please don't get up set.
Because maybe/probably, there is a some bugs involved , some of the things that normally would work, don't.
Once we know exactly which image you are using it will help. Let us know what you try,
and what error messages you get , if any.
Originally it was the Live images that had problems:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/relea ... so-hybrid/
6. The root directory of the live images has very restrictive permissions

The root directory is mode 0700 (i.e. drwx------)
That is just 1 of several, problems, until we know which image you are using , there is
not much any one can say, except suggest doing searches, etc.
With better details , someone may be able to tell you exactly what to do.
Again , please try not to get upset, we are trying our best to help you figure out how to
solve this. And on the Debian developers end, they also are working hard to try to resolve the issues.
Thank you
P.S. All though there maybe be bugs involved, occasionally , especially with people new to Linux, there have been occasions when the user simply did not install Debian correctly,and did not set the root password correctly, sometimes they think they did,
but a odd keyboard, or other factors , cause the problem,...usually it can be solved
without re-installing, but the important thing is that the OP gives clear and specific details, and does not start getting upset.

Thorny

#6 Post by Thorny »

bushy5 wrote:Just installed Debian 9 on a test box, used the same password for user and root. User password works but root does not. Do I have to re-install to correct or is there another solution?
Ultimately you will get passed the bug in the installer you used. And developers will change the mistake.

Here is a piece of advice which you didn't ask for:
It is not a good idea to use the same password for root as you use for your normal user, that defeats the security model of your system and has the potential to cause you problems in the future even if you think it will make some things "easier". I suggest you reinstall using discrete, secure, passwords for root and your user and learn more about Debian security.

smit

#7 Post by smit »

I am having same problem

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=133604

Code: Select all

sudo -s
passwd root
passwd -u root
exit 
Maybe this will work

Seventh

#9 Post by Seventh »

I believe it is much safer and a good rule of thumb to not have a root password.

Perhaps this is debians methodology. Maybe the debian installer should come with an extra special warning when creating a root password if the software intends to default to sudo without root password.

I havent downloaded the live iso but instead had success with the netinstall iso as i like a minimal install. But i wonder what would happen if the live iso users chose not to submit a root password and just create a user + pass instead, maybe i should download a live iso and check it out for myself.

Seventh

#10 Post by Seventh »

wizard10000 wrote:
Seventh wrote:...But i wonder what would happen if the live iso users chose not to submit a root password and just create a user + pass instead, maybe i should download a live iso and check it out for myself.
If you *don't* give root a password in the installer Debian defaults to sudo and the user you create during install gets to be a sudoer.
Can you access root from user when this is done on the live iso?

Mike-DebianUser

#11 Post by Mike-DebianUser »

I can verify that the issue has NOT been resolved in 9.01 (and there is no newer stable version available)

At least in the debian-live-9.0.1-i386-lxde+nonfree.iso release

I resolved it using the method posted here : http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 22#p648676

So thanks!

jmulchin

#12 Post by jmulchin »

It would appear that this issue still remains a problem, even for Debian V9.1.0 release. I have been trying for 2 days now to get past this "root password fail" issue, and have no success. This problem happens in both the 9.1.0 amd64 ISO release and the 9.1.0 Net Install ISO release. In all cases, setting the Root Password during install will not work after the OS is installed and you login as Root directly. In every case, the root password, the one entered during installation, will not be accepted. If you login as a normal user, then su to root, the install password will work. Trying to change the root password using "su" with passwd will not work either. There appears to be no way to change the root password at all. I think the failure has nothing to do with the installation, the same password works under "su" from a normal user login. There must be something broken with in the display manager while under root. But I'm not a real Linux "innereds" kind a guy. I also did try doing an install with an empty root password, then changing it after the OS was installed using "su", and that too failed.
Now it would appear to me that there is a failure to properly check a release for issues like this. I can't believe that someone in the Debian team has not run into this, considering it has been going on for many months now. Ya I know, "it free", my lost time is not your problem, but come on.... take a little pride and ownership in what you do.

Additional note: I just tried the suggestion above, modifying the GRUB boot sequence with init=/bin/bash, then remounting file system, issuing a passwd cmd... that gives me the following error message: "Authentication token manipulation error", and the password is NOT changed. So there appears to be a fundamental problem in the password handling somewhere.

SOLVED!!!
Here is the solution https://economictheoryblog.com/2015/11/ ... -debian-8/ Thanks AD for your help on this. It seems those in control of such things, limiting ROOT access to save us from ourselves, have nothing better to do. You "Holier than Thou" types need to get a grip. There are many of us "That do know what we are doing" and resent your impositions. Enough Said.

cuvtixo

#13 Post by cuvtixo »

I'm having a problem logging in with root and two accounts with admin privileges, although I believe they all had different passwords, I may have to look elsewhere. More importantly I agree with jmulchin and think his tone was measured and sensible. Earlier someone in the thread talks about searching for solutions to this problem with "common sense" by searching "lost password" or somesuch. The problem here isn't a "lost" password, it's a non-functioning one. While perhaps there may be obviously similar solutions from a "help desk" expertise pov, not only is it condescending to say, it's also just wrong to call it common sense.
AFA Debian team not correcting this sooner/better, I think they suffers a little from a "server" bias. When an individual user is installing on a tablet, for example, protecting the rest of the system doesn't need to be at the expense of usability. Re-installation, in the beginning at least, is almost always trivial. Making access to root or su and sudo so difficult, and in this case even worse- buggy- just does not make sense in 2017. I haven't played with Rasperry Pi Debian yet, but I'd be pretty annoyed if I run into issues like these. Little encouraging messages about not giving root and the normal user the same password late into the installation process is appropriate- but bringing normal use to a screeching halt early in the process, doesn't. Also, finding a solution at a blog called "Economic Theory" is pretty funny. or at least weird :mrgreen: