Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stretch KDE. Global to disable keyboard?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
jmgibson1981

Stretch KDE. Global to disable keyboard?

#1 Post by jmgibson1981 »

Earlier I had my first problem with stretch. I hit something, was kinda random typing at the time and I lost my keyboard. Only a few keys worked, they didn't do what they were supposed to though. Couldn't click anything with the mouse. Keyboard was also disabled in a virtual terminal. Hard to hard reboot at which point everything is working perfectly fine. Never had this happen before. The wife has had it happen on her laptop as well, although hers is Windows 10. Any ideas?

GarryRicketson

Re: Stretch KDE. Global to disable keyboard?

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

was kinda random typing at the time
Don't do that, pay attention to what you are typing and which keys you hit,
so you at least know what key , or combination of keys caused it.
One of my parrots , jumped down , on to the keyboard and started randomly typing, ... it kind of messed things up, so I try to avoid any kind of random typing.
The wife has had it happen on her laptop as well, although hers is Windows 10. Any ideas?
Don't know, I don't use windows, but I suppose the same would apply, just
"randomly typing" could cause a key combination to do something unexpected,
and because it was random, there is no real way that I know of to know exactly what key combination cause the problem.
I avoid the problems associated with MS windows by not having it on my system,
but in this case it is not Debian Stretch, or Windows, it is PBCAK,... foolishly ,randomly typing or hitting keys without knowing what they will do, well it is just foolish.
Did you try this ? :
What key combination would disable the keyboard

There is software available that can lock the keyboard, so that these kind of things
do not happen by accident , like when a kid or pet starts randomly hitting keys,.. but a adult should know better.

dasein

Re: Stretch KDE. Global to disable keyboard?

#3 Post by dasein »

At the risk of seeming suspicious, I can't help but think that there's more to the story than is being reported, starting with the fact that "kinda random typing" seems like an odd hobby for an adult to have. Without a full and complete report, rank speculation has very little hope of yielding a solution.

Plus, the symptoms as reported aren't consistent. The keyboard clearly isn't "disabled," because some of the keys respond, even if that response is in some way anomalous. Then too, a second machine running a different OS simultaneously exhibiting a similar/identical problem would seem to defy the basic laws of probability. (Are you using external keyboards, and if so, is it/are they connected through a USB hub?)

Then too, any problem that can't be reproduced can't really be "fixed." That is to say, any corrective action proposed by anyone couldn't possibly be validated, because as far as we all know, the problem may never happen again under any circumstances.

One tangential point: power-cycling should be avoided whenever possible. It's worth your time to learn about the "magic" sysreq keys.