Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Startup program needs root password - how to run autom.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
zodac11

Re: Startup program needs root password - how to run autom.

#16 Post by zodac11 »

Bulkley wrote:You have lots of company on this. I've been searching. One suggest of interest is that it is your user password (not root) that is needed. Can you try this?

You aren't trying to run Debian as root are you? If so, don't. It is a big security risk.
Looks like it really asks for user password. Is there a solution based on asking for user passwd at autostart instead of root?

Bulkley

#17 Post by Bulkley »

zodac11 wrote:Looks like it really asks for user password.
That makes more sense. It is more secure too.
Is there a solution based on asking for user passwd at autostart . . . ?
Do mullvad and mtunnel have password save features? I'm thinking of my email that "remembers" my login password. I have my email client in my autostart and it checks for mail as it comes up without my having to do anything. I would expect mullvad and mtunnel to have similar settings. Do they?

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#18 Post by steve_v »

zodac11 wrote:Looks like it really asks for user password. Is there a solution based on asking for user passwd at autostart instead of root?
An expect script might work (assuming you are comfortable with plaintext password handling ofc.)
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

zodac11

#19 Post by zodac11 »

Bulkley wrote:
zodac11 wrote:Looks like it really asks for user password.
That makes more sense. It is more secure too.
Is there a solution based on asking for user passwd at autostart . . . ?
Do mullvad and mtunnel have password save features? I'm thinking of my email that "remembers" my login password. I have my email client in my autostart and it checks for mail as it comes up without my having to do anything. I would expect mullvad and mtunnel to have similar settings. Do they?
I uninstalled and reinstalled and now though I add both mullvad and mtunnel to startup, now they do not start after boot. Mullvad does not have a password, just needs an account number to work. There really must be something without sudoers file. I tried to make a script to makee usr/bin/mullvad and usr/bin/mtunnel but still need a long way to read about linux I suppose.