Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

where can i find an easy site to get and install software...

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
user5555155

where can i find an easy site to get and install software...

#1 Post by user5555155 »

where can i find an easy site to get and install software for Debian OS ?
thanks a lot
:?:

kopper

Re: were can i find an easy site to get and install software

#2 Post by kopper »

Use Synaptic Package Manager or apt-get/aptitude/apt. If you have to ask easy website to install software, you shouldn't be using any software not provided in official Debian repositories, you'll break your system.

Synaptic should be installed in Debian by default (I reckon). If not, you can install it from commandline by running following command as root:

Code: Select all

apt-get install synaptic
Debian 12 Stable with sway
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

user5555155

Re: were can i find an easy site to get and install software

#3 Post by user5555155 »

kopper wrote:Use Synaptic Package Manager or apt-get/aptitude/apt. If you have to ask easy website to install software, you shouldn't be using any software not provided in official Debian repositories, you'll break your system.

Synaptic should be installed in Debian by default (I reckon). If not, you can install it from commandline by running following command as root:

Code: Select all

apt-get install synaptic

thanks for replying
how can i install the software using Synaptic Package Manager ?
Thank a lot

MALsPa

Re: where can i find an easy site to get and install softwar

#4 Post by MALsPa »

Lysander

#5 Post by Lysander »

Kind of worrying that you have to ask this on the forums. I would get away from this idea of using 'sites' to install Debian software. Think in terms of repositories.

At the risk of sounding a little austere, you are asking a very, very basic question with regard to Debian operation [and Linux for that matter]. I would encourage you to do some reading of the Debian Wiki since you will find a lot of answers there, not only to this question, but others that will arise [MALsPa has already pointed you to it in answer to your question on how to use Synaptic]. Reading and applying what you have learned from the Wiki will enhance both your knowledge and your powers of research, the latter of which will be of particular import when it comes to using Debian. You will then have laid more of a technical foundation for yourself, and will possess further experience to draw from when posting here.

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

where can i find an easy site to get and install software ?
At https://www.debian.org/
Debian provides more than a pure OS: it comes with over 51000 packages, precompiled software bundled up in a nice format for easy installation on your machine. Read more...
===================For more details click where it says "read more"====
=============For a complete list of packages (software) ====
https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
--------------------
List of Software selections in "stretch"
=====================================================
Read some documentation, to learn how to install the software (packages)

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... ls.en.html
8.1.4 synaptic

synaptic is a graphical package manager. It enables you to install, upgrade and remove software packages in a user friendly way. Along with most of the features offered by aptitude, it also has a feature for editing the list of used repositories, and supports browsing all available documentation related to a package. See the Synaptic Website for more information.
--------------------- Last but not least ------------
There are 1000s of random websites that advertise free downloads of
software for Linux and Debian, but PLEASE , READ THIS FIRST :
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian