Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

about debian9 stretch grub

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
hlecter

about debian9 stretch grub

#1 Post by hlecter »

I followed someone's guide to install nvidia driver,modified gurb.cfg,stopped lightdm and sh nvidiaxxx.run ,failed,startx,failed,reboot,then I can't boot into system,what appeared is grub> , but when I input root,kernel or initrd command ,it said incorrect command, help,there are some other commands ,where is my gurb command,grub changes? How to boot stretch now? :cry: :cry: :cry:

dasein

Re: about debian9 stretch grub

#2 Post by dasein »

hlecter wrote:I followed someone's guide to install nvidia driver...
Maybe try following someone's guide to fixing it.

"I did a bunch of random stuff and now nothing works" is not diagnostically useful.

If you can't or won't provide specifics of what you did, then perhaps you should just reinstall and quit taking advice from random blogs.

hlecter

#3 Post by hlecter »

Thank you for your advice,I will do this kind of experiment more carefully.

hlecter

#4 Post by hlecter »

thank you ,I have solved this problem.I refer to grub2 wiki and boot her smoothly,then cp my old grub.cfg to /boot/grub/,she works well.
grub2 is quite different from grub.some import commands changed: root xxxxx=> set root=xxxxx kernel xxxxx => linux xxxxx

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

Better to follow the wiki than "someone's guide" - https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
It hasn't been updated for Stretch yet, so you can ignore the backports section. 375.66-1 is available in Stretch non-free repo.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!