Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't install "vim"

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Can't install "vim"

#21 Post by None1975 »

RU55EL wrote:My point is that Jessie will begin using the Stretch repositories when Stretch becomes oldstable, creating frankendebian. It is best to use the name of the Debian version rather than the release version. If you are running Jessie that is what you should use in your sources.list, rather than oldstable, which will change to a different version in time.
Yes, you right. My mistake.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

stevepusser

#22 Post by stevepusser »

Should you mix Debian 7 and 8? NO. You already have mixed at least one package from 7 into 8, and are now the proud owner of a broken FrankenDebian. You have already seen that your system is broken because of that. You need to first discover why you have this mess on a "fresh" install of 8, and don't repeat whatever caused the mixing in the first place. It's best to go back to the beginning and do a fresh reinstall.

I'm only familiar with running Debian VMs in Virtual Box. Do you have to use VMware?
MX Linux packager and developer

banderas20

#23 Post by banderas20 »

stevepusser wrote:Should you mix Debian 7 and 8? NO. You already have mixed at least one package from 7 into 8, and are now the proud owner of a broken FrankenDebian. You have already seen that your system is broken because of that. You need to first discover why you have this mess on a "fresh" install of 8, and don't repeat whatever caused the mixing in the first place. It's best to go back to the beginning and do a fresh reinstall.

I'm only familiar with running Debian VMs in Virtual Box. Do you have to use VMware?
I have never used VirtualBox, and neither have I had any problem with VMWare until now. I think the best will be begin with a fresh install, as you say.

Thanks for your support :)