Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

iptables forwarding: ignorance isn't always bliss

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
n_hologram

iptables forwarding: ignorance isn't always bliss

#1 Post by n_hologram »

I recently tinkered with an old laptop and got a hostapd hotspot running. I'd like to replace my current router since it's a bit old and figure this could be a cheaper option. However, I want to make sure I understand the Frankenstein-monster I've set-up before it's put to any serious use. My only concern lay with two iptables commands that were used to finally get internet on the connected clients. They originated from this Super User post:

Code: Select all

Forwarding enabled in iptables:
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
iptables -F FORWARD
I've researched how iptables forwarding works, and it seems like this would be desirable as I intend for this to function as a NAT. But I wanted to present this question because there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, and I could be missing something of which I'm simply not aware.

Tl;dr, I'd like to know if these two command are advisable for the firewall of a dedicated router. If not, what are some recommendations?
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: iptables forwarding: ignorance isn't always bliss

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Those two commands just set the default policy for the FORWARD chain to ACCEPT and the clear any other rules in it.
Unless you want to apply any specific restrictions (or logging), that will work fine.

I have some rules in my FORWARD chain to count traffic for internal machines, so I can see who's using all that data...
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

n_hologram

#3 Post by n_hologram »

Thank you for clarifying -- just wanted to make sure. Would you be willing to share the iptables commands that let you monitor your traffic? That sounds ideal.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

seco

#4 Post by seco »

I think this tutorial explains chains and chain policy for iptables very well and even creating your custom chains and redirect your traffic to them https://likegeeks.com/linux-iptables-firewall-examples/
Hope it helps.