Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing single non-free packages

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
RichardEU

Installing single non-free packages

#1 Post by RichardEU »

Hi,

I would like to use Debian without non-free. My Lenovo T550 has an intel WiFi card which requires non-free and I think I am correct to say that there isn't a suitable Atheros chip card to replace it.

I know how to edit sources.list to add non-free. I have also learnt about adding packages from backports.

I would like to know if it is possible to install select, single packages (such as the intel wifi one) without having to enable non-free repositories for everything.

I have searched the internet for solutions but everything I find goes straight to the option of adding contrib and non-free to sources.list. Ideally I would like to keep my computer as free as possible. I have tried Trisquel and Libreboot but feel a free Debian setup with as minimal non-free as possible is a good compromise for me.

Thank you for any help

Lysander

Re: Installing single non-free packages

#2 Post by Lysander »

Why not just enable the non-free repo, download the software, then disable it?

I have done the same with Opera browser. Only because the consistent updates annoyed me, however.

RichardEU

#3 Post by RichardEU »

Does adding non-free to sources.list and update&&upgrade not apply a global change? I.e., it'll upgrade lots of packages to non-free versions? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

Also, If I install a non-free package, then remove non-free from sources, how does that package still get updated?

deborah-and-ian

#4 Post by deborah-and-ian »

RichardEU wrote:Does adding non-free to sources.list and update&&upgrade not apply a global change? I.e., it'll upgrade lots of packages to non-free versions? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

Also, If I install a non-free package, then remove non-free from sources, how does that package still get updated?
If you have no other non-free packages, why would it upgrade lots of packages? If I understood correctly, you'll only install 1 package.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

bryanmc

#5 Post by bryanmc »

deborah-and-ian wrote: If you have no other non-free packages, why would it upgrade lots of packages? If I understood correctly, you'll only install 1 package.
Exactly.

Lysander

#6 Post by Lysander »

RichardEU wrote:Does adding non-free to sources.list and update&&upgrade not apply a global change? I.e., it'll upgrade lots of packages to non-free versions? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.
You're mixing up how main and non-free work. They are separate packages and non-free are opt-in.
RichardEU wrote:Also, If I install a non-free package, then remove non-free from sources, how does that package still get updated?
It wouldn't. If you want to keep your sources.list 'clean' and have control of your updates, you could remove it. It depends what's important to the user. As I said earlier, as an example, I have commented out my Opera repo. I won't get any more Opera updates, but that's my choice - in fact it's the exact reason why I commented it out.
Last edited by Lysander on 2017-08-31 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

RichardEU

#7 Post by RichardEU »

So if I intall Debian, then add 'contrib non-free' to sources.list, apt update && upgrade, then it will literally only install that one wifi package? It wont installing any other package?

Or should I add contrib non-free and then simply apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi and then remove contrib non-free from sources.list?

If it's the latter what practical difference is there between doing the above or doing ghe method wizard1000 mentioned? In both cases there will be no updates if I understand correctly. If so, surely it's quicker to do what wizard1000 said than to edit sources.list.

Lysander

#8 Post by Lysander »

RichardEU wrote:So if I intall Debian, then add 'contrib non-free' to sources.list, apt update && upgrade, then it will literally only install that one wifi package? It wont installing any other package?
It won't install anything if you don't tell it what to install.
RichardEU wrote:Or should I add contrib non-free and then simply apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi and then remove contrib non-free from sources.list?
Only if you don't want updates. If you do, leave it.
RichardEU wrote:If it's the latter what practical difference is there between doing the above or doing ghe method wizard1000 mentioned? In both cases there will be no updates if I understand correctly. If so, surely it's quicker to do what wizard1000 said than to edit sources.list.
I would suggest editing sources.list. You can then choose to disable the repo if you don't want updates and keep it enabled if you do.

Sources.list is a vital file to get to grips with if you want to control how Debian handles updates. Read this because it's pertinent to learn the basics of the OS you're using.

RichardEU

#9 Post by RichardEU »

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I will defintiely have a read of the link you provided.

So, just to check I have it right, I could theoretically add 'contrib non-free' to sources.list and maintain a fully free OS by only selecting free packages from synaptic for example. I am simply expanding the pool of potential packages I could install?

I think I am getting confused by assuming that enablng non-free repos will automatically alter the installation - eg switch free drivers to non-free ones and so forth.

bryanmc

#10 Post by bryanmc »

RichardEU wrote: I think I am getting confused by assuming that enablng non-free repos will automatically alter the installation - eg switch free drivers to non-free ones and so forth.
In basic terms, apt-get will only install packages that you direct it to with apt-get install, and will only upgrade files that are installed with apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, regardless the repos that are enabled.

RichardEU

#11 Post by RichardEU »

wizard10000 wrote:Hope this helps -
Definitely. Thanks for the help.