Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] Questions about deja-dup

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
user2635

[solved] Questions about deja-dup

#1 Post by user2635 »

1. I've set it to backup automatically everyday, but what time does that mean? (according to this https://askubuntu.com/questions/614465/ ... -logged-in it is based the last time the backup was done so I'm guessing 24 hours after that?? Can someone confirm?)

2. Which brings me to the question, how do I know when the last backup was done? (doesn't show in the GUI)
Last edited by user2635 on 2017-09-10 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
phil the linux newbie
debian 9 stable since aug 2017
please teach me linux :)

debiman

Re: Questions about deja-dup

#2 Post by debiman »

both of these questions are very likely answered by reading dejadup documentation!

i'll try:

1. most probably whichever daemon (systemd or cron) takes care of it, is able to figure that out.

2. look at the backups?

not if you don't teach yourself first.

user2635

Re: Questions about deja-dup

#3 Post by user2635 »

1. I couldn't find out the answer to that one

2. apologies, it does actually say the last time it does the backup in the GUI.

I'll close this as I'm not too bothered about the time...
phil the linux newbie

duffy

Re: [solved] Questions about deja-dup

#4 Post by duffy »

Start deja-dup from the menu.

If the display shows you where the backup is being stored, left click on one of the other selections in the deja-dup menu: Folders to save, Folders to ignore, Storage location, or Scheduling. Then left click on Overview.

My current deja-dup Overview display shows: Last backup was 3 days ago. And No backups scheduled.

I don't schedule the backups, but execute them manually from the Overview screen using 'Backup now' button'.

To see when a backup is scheduled to be performed, in a terminal window, enter crontab -l. ( That's a lowercase letter "L".) This will display any pending cron tasks.

Hope this helps.

user2635

#5 Post by user2635 »

duffy wrote:Start deja-dup from the menu.

If the display shows you where the backup is being stored, left click on one of the other selections in the deja-dup menu: Folders to save, Folders to ignore, Storage location, or Scheduling. Then left click on Overview.

My current deja-dup Overview display shows: Last backup was 3 days ago. And No backups scheduled.

I don't schedule the backups, but execute them manually from the Overview screen using 'Backup now' button'.

To see when a backup is scheduled to be performed, in a terminal window, enter crontab -l. ( That's a lowercase letter "L".) This will display any pending cron tasks.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Duffy, yes I realised afterwards that it does say when the last backup was but I didn't know the crontab command, thanks!

However, I did try it and it says there's nothing scheduled so I don't know if that's correct?
phil the linux newbie

duffy

#6 Post by duffy »

Here is a website that might help you:
http://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/DejaDup/HowItWorks

I see I was wrong to suggest looking at crontab for the scheduling. Deja-dup uses its own monitor routine.

You might try to create a backup of one of your directories (your Documents directory, for example), and save it to a local location (your Downloads directory, for example) on your hard drive. From the Overview tab, select to do the backup now, or go to the Scheduling tab and select time to do the backup. To keep things simple, do not use encryption to make the backup. (You don't want to forget the password.) Once you have the backup, you can try the Restore function, and you'll see the date that the backup was made. You can cancel the Restore, and remove the backup from the local location (in a terminal do: rm ~/Downloads/duplicity* ) since this is just a test case. If you scheduled deja-dup to do the backup, you may want to turn-off the automatic backup.