wine on debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

wine on debian

Postby fmp » 2017-09-09 04:04

i've been using debian as my daily driver for several months now and so far, photoshop is the only thing i miss.

for seasoned debian users, is it worth installing wine for one program?
if not, what are the cons/hassles opposed to sticking it out with gimp/inkscape?

gimp doesn't seem to be able to parse typical psd's from photoshop.
for example - a simple layered website mockup appeared jumbled. not sure if i'm missing a plugin, perhaps; or if this is common (searches on the web for this vague-sounding issue yield little help - i'm not sure specifically what to query that would give more targeted results)

does this sound familiar to anyone? can anyone clue me in on what i could be missing, to make gimp more photoshop-esque?
fmp

Re: wine on debian

Postby aplistir » 2017-09-09 15:26

fmp wrote:i've been using debian as my daily driver for several months now and so far, photoshop is the only thing i miss.
for seasoned debian users, is it worth installing wine for one program?
if not, what are the cons/hassles opposed to sticking it out with gimp/inkscape?
gimp doesn't seem to be able to parse typical psd's from photoshop.
for example - a simple layered website mockup appeared jumbled. not sure if i'm missing a plugin, perhaps; or if this is common (searches on the web for this vague-sounding issue yield little help - i'm not sure specifically what to query that would give more targeted results)
does this sound familiar to anyone? can anyone clue me in on what i could be missing, to make gimp more photoshop-esque?

That is what wine is made for. Running those windows programs, you really need. Some programs work really well, but not all.
I used to use photoshop in wine. Worked well, but it was an older version of photpshop.
Here is a link, which tells how well different versions of photoshop work in wine:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... pplication

Gimp is quite different from protoshop. Most people, who have mastered photoshop will have difficulty in switching to gimp.
Personally I have switched to Krita, which is a really good (and free) photoshop like program. And it is available in linux and it has been also ported to windows.
aplistir

Postby aplistir » 2017-09-09 15:28

One option is to run full windows seamlessly in virtualbox.
That way you can use any windows program without compatibility issues. the only drawback is that it is a bit slower.
aplistir

Postby fmp » 2017-09-09 17:40

aplistir wrote:Personally I have switched to Krita, which is a really good (and free) photoshop like program. And it is available in linux and it has been also ported to windows.

haven't heard of Krita until now; just downloaded. wow, this looks excellent!

i tried a random layered psd and it loaded flawlessly.

a virtualbox with something as clunky as photoshop wouldn't work for me. it takes forever to get going as it is. going to give krita a spin, definitely looks promising as a ps replacement!
fmp

Return to Beginners Questions