Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Not High Enough Display Resoloution

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
GarryRicketson

Re: Not High Enough Display Resoloution

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

Did I miss something important ?
This post was made by happydog500 who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

Segfault

#17 Post by Segfault »

Not at all. Some noise perhaps.

Zjho

#18 Post by Zjho »

happydog500 wrote: Guess I'll keep trying,
Chris.
If you're still here Chris, yes do keep trying, it is worth the effort of getting past this common initial Debian hurdle.
As another newcomer like yourself who has had similar problems with reduced 12x10 resolution, http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 83#p645983, i can say that by following some of the leads already made here you will likely be rewarded with a distro that is stable and shows few subsequent problems, even with supporting the crankiest of heavyweight desktops - a challenge for any setup.

happydog500

#19 Post by happydog500 »

Segfault wrote:In another forum he bragged to have 20 years of UNIX experience. And then attacked Debian because his "sudo password" did not work with su. :shock:
You are misrepresenting what I said, adding YOUR interpretation, to my words. I will try and explain this evening what you are misrepresenting.

Hope you are doing well.

Chris.

happydog500

#20 Post by happydog500 »

May of found the answer.

Couldn't instll debian, had a project to do so I had to get my home computer up and running. Went to install the old reliable Mint. Would not install. Tried all my Mint discs, xubuntu discs, none will install.

From all the error messages I'm getting, I'm guessing my DVD Drive is going out. Seems like it can "read" the disc, but can't see the file system.

Why I could burn 30 discs of Linux and they all work, then the 5 discs of debian that don't? Because your DVD drive goes out at 31.

I will check in my parts to see if I have any DVD Roms left. I could pull one from a system I have laying around, but I took a bunch to the second had store a couple weeks a go. Can't believe it. I had several laying around for years, didn't need them. Give them away and now I need one.

Thank you,
Chris.

acewiza

#21 Post by acewiza »

happydog500 wrote:Tried the DVD. Could not read the disc. This is a reoccurring thing with debian. I say this respectfully. I literally have a drawer full of about 30 different Linux discs. All verified, all burned by me. Every single one works perfectly. This is the third debian disc that has problems.
The difference between smart people and dumb people isn't that smart people don't make mistakes. They just don't keep making the same mistakes over and over again.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

happydog500

#22 Post by happydog500 »

acewiza wrote:
happydog500 wrote:Tried the DVD. Could not read the disc. This is a reoccurring thing with debian. I say this respectfully. I literally have a drawer full of about 30 different Linux discs. All verified, all burned by me. Every single one works perfectly. This is the third debian disc that has problems.
The difference between smart people and dumb people isn't that smart people don't make mistakes. They just don't keep making the same mistakes over and over again.
Dear acewiza, thank you for your reply,

I'm sorry, but some of the greatest inventors, and many other greatest of all time, would disagree with you.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career.
I've lost almost 300 games
26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot ... and missed.
I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That is why I succeed."
~ Michael Jordan

After searching the internet, I feel a little better after finding "I burnt a debian disc and it doesn't work" pages.
Thomas Edison's teachers said he was "too stupid to learn anything." He was fired from his first two jobs for being "non-productive." As an inventor, Edison made 1,000 unsuccessful attempts at inventing the light bulb. When a reporter asked, "How did it feel to fail 1,000 times?" Edison replied, "I didn’t fail 1,000 times. The light bulb was an invention with 1,000 steps."
I've had many times where I did something and it didn't work. Tried the same thing a few times and it worked. Many, many times. Even logging into a computer. Wouldn't work. Tried it over and over again, same thing over and over until it worked. Worked from then on.
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can achieve greatly."
~ Robert F. Kennedy

"I don't believe I have special talents, I have persistence … After the first failure, second failure, third failure, I kept trying."
~ Carlo Rubbia, Nobel Prize winning Physicist
Thanks again for your reply, it is true and has value to learn from your mistakes. Do you really think famous inventors NEVER did the same thing a few times if it didn't work?

Thank you,
Chris.

happydog500

#23 Post by happydog500 »

Zjho wrote:
happydog500 wrote: Guess I'll keep trying,
Chris.
If you're still here Chris, yes do keep trying, it is worth the effort of getting past this common initial Debian hurdle.
As another newcomer like yourself who has had similar problems with reduced 12x10 resolution, http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 83#p645983, i can say that by following some of the leads already made here you will likely be rewarded with a distro that is stable and shows few subsequent problems, even with supporting the crankiest of heavyweight desktops - a challenge for any setup.
Thank you for your encouragement. I really like the way debian looks and feels. If I keep working at it, I'll be able to help others after a while. I feel better seeing that others burnt debian discs and they "wouldn't install."

Very discouraging to not even be able to install the firmware version. Tried graphical, text, and net. None would work. I think the problem is, it installed, but didn't install the boot loader.

The regular install, asked me questions about it (worked). When I installed the discs for the firmware (non free), it didn't ask. If I try to install mint, it asks if I want to install along side debian.

Thanks again for the encouragement,

Chris.

RU55EL

#24 Post by RU55EL »

Thomas Edison's teachers said he was "too stupid to learn anything." He was fired from his first two jobs for being "non-productive." As an inventor, Edison made 1,000 unsuccessful attempts at inventing the light bulb. When a reporter asked, "How did it feel to fail 1,000 times?" Edison replied, "I didn’t fail 1,000 times. The light bulb was an invention with 1,000 steps."
Where is this from?

Here?

Thomas Edison didn't invent the light bulb himself, he patented the light bulb. He played a part in light bulb R & D but most of the hands on inventing was done by his employees. A wise business man. At the time, there were several light bulb versions designed by others that worked, but he was successful in patenting and selling his patented design. He accumulated thousands of patents.

List of Edison patents

bryanmc

#25 Post by bryanmc »

happydog500 wrote: Do you really think famous inventors NEVER did the same thing a few times if it didn't work?
If there was that big of an issue with Debian, don't you think there would be thousands of posts about it? Glad you figured it out.

OT: I doubt seriously they did the same thing over and over. Edison did not keep trying the exact same design 1000 times.

acewiza

#26 Post by acewiza »

happydog500 wrote:I've had many times where I did something and it didn't work. Tried the same thing a few times and it worked. Many, many times. Even logging into a computer. Wouldn't work. Tried it over and over again, same thing over and over until it worked. Worked from then on.
You must one of those people who works by magic - good for you! The plain, simple fact of this matter is that installing display drivers is one of the most common hurdles low-level users fail to clear in their early Debian adventures. That you continue doing so with all your in-depth experience and then come on a forum like this to complain bitterly about it speaks volumes about you, personally.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

stevepusser

#27 Post by stevepusser »

Trying many experiments to get a working light bulb: not a mistake.

Sticking with promoting DC power transmission in the face of the technically superior AC: a mistake.

Putting on public exhibitions where various animals were electrocuted with AC to scare the public by demonstrating how dangerous AC power was: bigger mistake.
MX Linux packager and developer