Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Screen Resolution (New to Debian)

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
icecold7777

Screen Resolution (New to Debian)

#1 Post by icecold7777 »

Heya. After months of thinking my very high spec gaming rig would never run Linux I surprisingly found out that Debian Actually works on my system now. I'm new to Linux and wanted some suggestions and possible help from the Community. So I Installed Debian everything works great.. But my screen is stuck at 1024x768 and I can’t go any higher and im not sure why.. So I Installed Screenfetch and it says my GTX 970 is my GPU and that my CPU is Intel Core i7-6700K like it should be. Which is where im confused.. If it says my GPU is my “GTX 970” Wouldn’t I be able to use a higher Screen-Resolution then 1024x768? I know for a fact my Monitor supports 1920x1080.. Ive looked all over and can’t seem to find a answer, But anyways all Responses are appreciated, thank you. :D

https://i.imgur.com/vZFmFVb.png (Ignore the top Corner that was just some App-Store Nvida GPU Temperature monitor I added)

https://i.imgur.com/Fo5mA1z.png (Incase you wanted me to click on the Nvida GPU App)

debiman

Re: Screen Resolution (New to Debian)

#2 Post by debiman »

please post output of

Code: Select all

lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display'

icecold7777

#3 Post by icecold7777 »

debiman wrote:please post output of

lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display'
1:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] (rev a1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. GM204 [GeForce GTX 970]
Kernel modules: nouveau
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. GM204 High Definition Audio Controller
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Even the free nouveau video driver may require non-free firmware to work correctly for many Nvidia cards

you can directly download the deb package from the link at the bottom of this package: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/fir ... sc-nonfree

A reboot is advisable to see if it helps, otherwise you may have to resort to the proprietary driver.
MX Linux packager and developer

sevendogsbsd

#5 Post by sevendogsbsd »

In addition to the proprietary video driver, you may also have to add a separate configuration for your monitor. I am running Debian with an Nvidia GTX 1050Ti and a Dell 34" monitor with 3440x1440 resolution. Works perfectly, but I had to do the following to get the resolution to display correctly: I added a file (name is irrelevant) specifying the resolution of my monitor. Here are the steps:

1) Create directory

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
2) Create a file in that directory "10-screen-resolution.conf" (can be named anything but make it meaningful)
3) Create another file in that directory "20-nvidia.conf" (can be named anything but make it meaningful)
4) Contents of files:

"10-screen-resolution.conf"

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "My GPU"
        SubSection "Display"
        Modes      "3440x1440"
        EndSubSection
EndSection
Adjust your resolution as needed.

"20-nvidia.conf"

Section "Device"
        Identifier "My GPU"
        Driver "nvidia"
EndSection
Works perfectly for me. The Nouveau driver does not work at all for my card, suspect the same issue with yours. You do not need a global "xorg.conf" as this is no longer needed. The recommended configuration is to create seperate files as I have indicated in that directory, but only if they are needed. Typically these files aren't needed and the configuration is picked up automatically, except for some cases, like mine and yours :D
"No one outside ourselves can rule us inwardly. When we know this, we become free."
--Buddha

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

The proprietary Nvidia driver is a better choice for gaming. https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

Forget what the wiki says about preparing your system to build the driver, just install module-assistant and run as sysadmin

m-a prepare
Install and run nvidia-detect if you want to make sure you're installing the correct driver. Then follow the wiki from there.
MX Linux packager and developer

sevendogsbsd

#7 Post by sevendogsbsd »

stevepusser wrote:The proprietary Nvidia driver is a better choice for gaming. https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
And also for those of us with cards that are not supported by the Nouveau driver :)
"No one outside ourselves can rule us inwardly. When we know this, we become free."
--Buddha