Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Brackets on Debian? Solved - Bluefish

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Wyght

Brackets on Debian? Solved - Bluefish

#1 Post by Wyght »

I am new to Debian, I have laptop that is 4 years old, 4 GB ram I am using debian 9.1 and would like to install Brackets on this so I can play around with HTML/CSS I looked on the debian site but do not find anything about Brackets. I have read where some say it will install and work other say no it will not.

Is there a URL I can go to and read the correct method of installing Brackets on this Debian laptop?
Last edited by Wyght on 2017-09-23 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Brackets on Debian?

#2 Post by stevepusser »

You mean like the "other downloads" link on their home page?

Pick the appropriate .deb file.
Install it with apt or gdebi.
Profit!
MX Linux packager and developer

Danielsan

#3 Post by Danielsan »

Wyght wrote:I am new to Debian, I have laptop that is 4 years old, 4 GB ram I am using debian 9.1 and would like to install Brackets on this so I can play around with HTML/CSS I looked on the debian site but do not find anything about Brackets. I have read where some say it will install and work other say no it will not.

Is there a URL I can go to and read the correct method of installing Brackets on this Debian laptop?
Beside the fact that there are plenty of editors already available on Debian, I would suggest you to try Atom Editor instead of Brackets.
Brackets and Atom are both heavy and fat editors but from my experience the latter is faster than the the former and has better and bigger community around it.

https://atom.io/

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

i don't understand.
to "play around with html/css" you need a plain text/code editor, and a browser to look at the generated pages.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

I looked at the Brackets deb, and it needs a libgcrypt11 package not available in Stretch repos, so the easier one is Atom.
MX Linux packager and developer

Wyght

#6 Post by Wyght »

stevepusser wrote:You mean like the "other downloads" link on their home page?
Profit!
No, I am sorry, I mean Debian page. I read much of the Debian information and it seems that Debian strongly recommends a beginner be extremely careful and "not"
trust software pages like Brackets.

Wyght

#7 Post by Wyght »

stevepusser wrote:I looked at the Brackets deb, and it needs a libgcrypt11 package not available in Stretch repos, so the easier one is Atom.
Ok, thank you considering I don't even know what file that libgcry... is I think you are correct :D

Wyght

#8 Post by Wyght »

debiman wrote:i don't understand.
to "play around with html/css" you need a plain text/code editor, and a browser to look at the generated pages.
I would suggest I don't 'need' a plain text/code editor yet I could use one. I read about Brackets, liked the ease to 'see' what affect the change in the css had also I liked
the ease to enter the css without opening the file and than navigating to the correct spot. The playing around is that I find it fun to mess around with html/css without any desire to earn money at it.

Wyght

#9 Post by Wyght »

Danielsan wrote:
Wyght wrote:I am new to Debian, I have laptop that is 4 years old, 4 GB ram I am using debian 9.1 and would like to install Brackets on this so I can play around with HTML/CSS I looked on the debian site but do not find anything about Brackets. I have read where some say it will install and work other say no it will not.

Beside the fact that there are plenty of editors already available on Debian, I would suggest you to try Atom Editor instead of Brackets.
Brackets and Atom are both heavy and fat editors but from my experience the latter is faster than the the former and has better and bigger community around it.

https://atom.io/
Thank you for this insight; I looked into this and decided to go with "Bluefish" I don't really want a 'heavy' or 'fat' editor.

Danielsan

Re: Brackets on Debian? Solved - Bluefish

#10 Post by Danielsan »

Wyght wrote:Thank you for this insight; I looked into this and decided to go with "Bluefish" I don't really want a 'heavy' or 'fat' editor.
Because the sandboxes Atom is quite hungry about ram however is far away better than Bluefish, this one is a very old school editor, if you still want something lighter I suggest you Geany or Gedit plus plugins.