Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]Am I missing something here?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Am I missing something here?

#21 Post by p.H »

Bulkley wrote:
p.H wrote:Reinstall just because the OP did not set a root password ? You must be joking.
Because the OP is an admitted newbie and had nothing to lose by doing it over.
Nothing to lose but time and the opportunity to learn something. Yeah, really nothing.

GarryRicketson

#22 Post by GarryRicketson »

If you the OP installed gnome-system-tools :https://packages.debian.org/search?suit ... stem-tools

They would still need to add it to the menu (panel), it could be tested first
by trying to start it from the command line: type the command (as normal user, NOT root or sudo ) :

Code: Select all

gnome-system-tools 
and see if it starts.
To add it to the menu, RIGHT CLICK "applications" > panel > +add new items

IF gnome-system-tools shows in the list of available "plugins", or items, you can add it.
There still might be some other "tweaks" needed , maybe : "gnome-tweak-tool"
Like wise if Cinnamon has the feature, they might be able to now add it to XFCE panel,...
The best thing would be to ask them at XFCE, and get detailed instructions, from people using it. The links to their site I posted earlier.

Alamo1

#23 Post by Alamo1 »

GarryRicketson wrote:Sure didn't take you very long, I would expect it to work, but it would take some
time to read the Docs, and instruction, etc.... besides that there are a lot more
results in the search strings,..there seem to be many ways to solve this. But it
takes more the 2 or 3 minuets to read the info available.
Please remember, I've been trying to find an answer to this for days, not just since I posted here! Tried adding "gnome-system-tools" two days ago.

GarryRicketson

#24 Post by GarryRicketson »

So, what happened ? were you able to install it ?
Will it start from the command line like I showed ? If not what errors show ?

arid

#25 Post by arid »

Poor, poor OP! I have never even thought of using a GUI for such a simple function. But to each his own. I have 6 xfce installs on 3 computers and since it required only 5 additional packages, I just installed gnome-system-tools on one system. It works perfectly as advertised and I actually like it since I am the quicker-clicker. Of course, all my systems are up-to-the-second sid, since IMHO, it is rather absurd to use years old stable stuff. Just cooling off from my morning 3 hour hike. I think most of you should get out more. Might improve your thinking processes!
There's no drama in my sid......

Bulkley

#26 Post by Bulkley »

Segfault wrote:All you need to do is:

sudo -i
and you will be root.
If you really need separate password for root, then set it after sudo -i.
So much for security. As one who never uses sudo I wasn't aware of that one. Thanks.

Alamo1

#27 Post by Alamo1 »

arid wrote:Poor, poor OP! I have never even thought of using a GUI for such a simple function. But to each his own.
I'd never planned on using a GUI for anything at all, just wanted to know why Xfce appeared to be the only one not to include 'users and groups'. Originally thought it may have been an error on my part so chose to ask here for answers.

GarryRicketson

#28 Post by GarryRicketson »

arid wrote:--some text cut-- I just installed gnome-system-tools on one system. It works perfectly as advertised and I actually like it since I am the quicker-clicker. Of course, all my systems are up-to-the-second sid, since IMHO, it is rather absurd to use years old stable stuff. Just cooling off from my morning 3 hour hike. I think most of you should get out more. Might improve your thinking processes!
Thank you arid for confirming that the "gnome-system-tools" does work
to get this "feature".
I think most of you should get out more. Might improve your thinking processes!
Agreed, in fact I'm on my way out now,...

Time to feed the birds and take them for a walk.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-09-23 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

#29 Post by stevepusser »

It should appear in your menu. The file that it installs for the "Users and Groups" menu entry is /usr/share/application/users.desktop, and there is nothing in it that prevents it from appearing in the System submenu (I'm using the Whiskermenu). Perhaps you need to restart the xfce panel for it to show:

xfce4-panel -r
MX Linux packager and developer

Alamo1

#30 Post by Alamo1 »

GarryRicketson wrote:So, what happened ? were you able to install it ?
Will it start from the command line like I showed ? If not what errors show ?
As mentioned, I attempted that several days, and a number of re-installs ago after reading something online. As I recall the necessary packages downloaded and installed ok, but the system became unresponsive after a reboot, so I gave up.

System is just an old HP Server I had lying around so thought I'd use it for file storage. Now using it both headless and GUI-less to play around with for a while.