Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to paste in command line

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
sirjas

#1 Post by sirjas »

Hi,

I have started my VPS because I want to use it to host private game servers for my friends and I.

My first project is a MapleStory server.

My VPS provider is Digital Ocean, and my Debian version is 9.1, 64 bit.

I'm trying to install JDK at this moment. I found the command :

wget [URL]

How can I past the download URL? it is extremely long to type in.

Thanks.

Sirjas

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: How to paste in command line

#2 Post by arochester »

RIGHT click in the Terminal. Choose Paste?

sirjas

#3 Post by sirjas »

Right Clicking does nothing.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#4 Post by arochester »

Which Terminal are you using?

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

What OS are using to connect to the VPS ?
also did you even try:
(mostly MS windows results)

Code: Select all

How to paste in command line on linux 
Include "linux" in the keywords for more linux specific results.
It also may depend on what terminal you use:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/712 ... a-terminal
====== edited again ==============
by sirjas » my Debian version is 9.1, 64 bit.

I strongly suggest doing some research and reading some Debian documentation, before just randomly following instructions from random web sites, and installing things that you get with 'wget' and some random url.
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
One of the primary advantages of Debian is its central repository with thousands of software packages. If you're coming to Debian from another operating system, you might be used to installing software that you find on random websites. On Debian installing software from random websites is a bad habit. It's always better to use software from the official Debian repositories if at all possible. The packages in the Debian repositories are known to work well and install properly. Only using software from the Debian repositories is also much safer than installing from random websites which could bundle malware and other security risks.
There may be JDK packages available in the Debian repositories.
And use :

apt-get install 
to install.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Openjdk-8 is available in the main stretch repo, and openjdk-9 is in stretch-backports. If you only need the runtime for 8, install "default-jre". The JDK install both the runtime and development packages: "default-jdk". If you install the 9 version, you will have to set your alternatives to use that version, so use galternatives for that.

I would assume you're following some non-Debian guide to install Oracle Java, but Debian already includes tools to make that much easier. First make sure you really need the Oracle version, then follow the wiki: https://wiki.debian.org/JavaPackage
MX Linux packager and developer

sirjas

#8 Post by sirjas »

GarryRicketson wrote:What OS are using to connect to the VPS ?
also did you even try:
(mostly MS windows results)

How to paste in command line on linux 
Include "linux" in the keywords for more linux specific results.
It also may depend on what terminal you use:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/712 ... a-terminal
====== edited again ==============
by sirjas » my Debian version is 9.1, 64 bit.

I strongly suggest doing some research and reading some Debian documentation, before just randomly following instructions from random web sites, and installing things that you get with 'wget' and some random url.
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
One of the primary advantages of Debian is its central repository with thousands of software packages. If you're coming to Debian from another operating system, you might be used to installing software that you find on random websites. On Debian installing software from random websites is a bad habit. It's always better to use software from the official Debian repositories if at all possible. The packages in the Debian repositories are known to work well and install properly. Only using software from the Debian repositories is also much safer than installing from random websites which could bundle malware and other security risks.
There may be JDK packages available in the Debian repositories.
And use :

apt-get install 
to install.
I am using Windows 8.1. And yeah I have tried some searches for the paste command, and most said right click, ctrl+shift+v, ctrl+v and many more possibilities. None worked. I'll see if the availabl ejava downlaods will work. My goal here is to make a Maple Story server for my friends, mostly following tutorials online on how to do this. I'll try these out and come back to you folks. Thanks for the responses.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

Maybe you could point out some of these tutorials. I've seen some written by people that had no business doing it, even some that were downright dangerous to the system. Try installing openjdk-8 first to see if that will work--at least it won't break anything if it doesn't, unlike many of the random blogs.

How are you copying the text in the browser, anyway? Can you highlight it, right-click it, and then choose "Copy"? That always works for me...but you say you're running Windows 8.1. How does that relate to pasting it into a Linux terminal? :?:
MX Linux packager and developer

GarryRicketson

#10 Post by GarryRicketson »

by sirjas »
I am using Windows 8.1
That is the problem, I don't know on that, I don't use windows,
do they not have any forums where you can ask them ?
Maybe somebody here:
Windows Client OS Support https://www.windowsforum.org/

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#11 Post by steve_v »

If "VPS" means remote server, and you are connecting to it from a Windoze box, I assume you are connecting via SSH. I assume because you don't say.
If so, you need to go find the documentation for whatever SSH client you are using. This question has nothing to do with Debian, or GNU/Linux in general.
If your client lacks working copy/paste functionality, it is broken. Use putty, copy/paste works just fine.

Anyway, this is clearly an XY problem - what you really want is to install a Java runtime.
As others have mentioned, you shouldn't need to paste long download URLs to get a JRE installed. Listen to stevepusser and try installing a JRE the normal way first.
There are a multitude of wrong "instructions" for installing Java on the internet, and plenty among the first lot of hits I get for "maplestory debian". Is there a reason openjdk8 won't cut it for you?
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

debiman

#12 Post by debiman »

middle click, or shift+insert.
you need to highlight the url for that to work.