Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Ongoing problem with Debian install.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
debiman

Re: Ongoing problem with Debian install.

#16 Post by debiman »

jbander wrote:111 MB maybe not.
this confused me, so i went to check:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install debsums
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree 
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libfile-fnmatch-perl
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  debsums libfile-fnmatch-perl
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 59.6 kB of archives.
After this operation, 225 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
this is on a debian server without GUI.
59.6 kB vs 111 MB --- hmm, something is fishy here.

jbander

#17 Post by jbander »

Well I've done a bunch of stuff with this but off hand I believe that 111MB size came from Synaptic. . The operating system I put together is designed for the internet. It's as fast ass I've ever used , I'm happy with it and one of the key ingredients is making it small smaller smallest. So I stay away from 111mb files. Mine goes on a CD.

jbander

#18 Post by jbander »

I dumped Debian it was a pain , I'm trying to find a way to get a clean install ,I would guess I've tried around 10 different times. I'm thinking I'm making a mistake on the install itself, I've tried it with two other Distros , one other distro and no distro , just itself . None worked. The DVD burn MD5Sum is right on the DVD

debiman

#19 Post by debiman »

well it's too late now, but it would have been interesting WHAT these 111MB are for.
jbander wrote:and no distro , just itself .
itself? a dead badger, maybe?

jbander

#20 Post by jbander »

You should be asking me questions because I do have a level of experties in this ,I'm proud to say that I got my badger pin two years ago.

RU55EL

#21 Post by RU55EL »

jbander wrote:You should be asking me questions because I do have a level of experties in this ,I'm proud to say that I got my badger pin two years ago.
Do you mean "expertise"?

jbander

#22 Post by jbander »

Do you mean "expertise"?

OOPS! I thought I was doing so well and then something like that shows up.

Zjho

#23 Post by Zjho »

stevepusser wrote:

Code: Select all

inxi -F
System: Host: Firewind Kernel: 4.4.10-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8
Distro: antiX-16.2_x64-full Berta Cáceres 15 June 2017
Please run the command on the Debian GNOME install you say is giving trouble instead of the antiX 16.2 one. Thank you.
jbander wrote:You should be asking me questions because I do have a level of experties in this ,I'm proud to say that I got my badger pin two years ago.
Hey jbander, look to be in the enviable position of having a superfluity of questions at your disposal.
About 111 YB of knowledge behind question above i would guess.

debiman

#24 Post by debiman »

oh, s/he has a sense of humour!
:lol:

stevepusser

#25 Post by stevepusser »

I was polite in asking in for the output on inxi on Debian instead of what is obviously antiX, but someone with that level of "experties" shouldn't make those type of mistakes, and my veneer of civility is wearing daseinly thin.

Steve (wondering about the Dunning-Kruger effect here)

Best quote from the wikipedia article on the effect: :D
The identification derived from the cognitive bias evident in the criminal case of McArthur Wheeler, who robbed banks with his face covered with lemon juice, which he believed would make it invisible to the surveillance cameras. Wheeler's incompetence was based on his misunderstanding the chemical properties of lemon juice as an invisible ink.[
MX Linux packager and developer

HuangLao

#26 Post by HuangLao »

stevepusser wrote: my veneer of civility is wearing daseinly thin.
You just made my day....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :D

debiman

#27 Post by debiman »

^ i wouldn't go quite that far, but yes!

jbander

#28 Post by jbander »

This conversation moved around enough, to the point now that i don't know if everyone here understands that I was joking about debiman Dead Badger Comment. >Debiman You might have to step in here and explain the joke. before they start tying hangman's knots.

debiman

#29 Post by debiman »

jbander wrote:I dumped Debian it was a pain , I'm trying to find a way to get a clean install ,I would guess I've tried around 10 different times. I'm thinking I'm making a mistake on the install itself, I've tried it with two other Distros , one other distro and no distro , just itself . None worked. The DVD burn MD5Sum is right on the DVD
you were saying you installed various different distros, you even tried "no distro, just itself".
i thought that funny: trying to install "no distro, just itself".
the dead badger wasn't some clever quib, just the first vaguely nihilistic linux-related thing that came to my mind.
i'm happy enough you took it as a joke, but don't think too much into it.

in any case, i always liked that article, it's such a nice caricature of the internet-dwelling linux freaks, giving out street credibility points for the hardest install one managed...

GarryRicketson

#30 Post by GarryRicketson »

I have problems with a dead Racoon, do you think the Dead badger tutorial will work ?
:mrgreen:
Minix 3 is not a distro, in fact it is not even Linux, so it might be a good option:
you even tried "no distro, just itself".
Err,... sorry, Maybe I should have started a new topic. But with all the "joking"
going on, ...well any way, just kidding, so carry on. Sorry
P.S. I enjoyed that "Dead Badger" tutorial, thanks for sharing it.

jbander

#31 Post by jbander »

debiman wrote:
jbander wrote:I dumped Debian it was a pain , I'm trying to find a way to get a clean install ,I would guess I've tried around 10 different times. I'm thinking I'm making a mistake on the install itself, I've tried it with two other Distros , one other distro and no distro , just itself . None worked. The DVD burn MD5Sum is right on the DVD
you were saying you installed various different distros, you even tried "no distro, just itself".
the dead badger wasn't some clever quib, just the first vaguely nihilistic linux-related thing that came to my mind.
i'm happy enough you took it as a joke, but don't think too much into it.

in any case, i always liked that article, it's such a nice caricature of the internet-dwelling linux freaks, giving out street credibility points for the hardest install one managed...
Ya I simply took it at humor, I thought it was funny.