Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Video driver x302ua

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
sabur

Video driver x302ua

#1 Post by sabur »

Hi all. On hands have a notepad x302ua with video intel hd 520. For win10 driver works fine, no problem, today installed debian 9.2. At the first blush video work without trim, quickly. Question, how to check if the driver is installed correctly (mesa-utils installed) and everything works right. Maybe exist programs for test correctly installed video driver or command in console. Thx

sabur

Re: Video driver x302ua

#2 Post by sabur »

admin@host:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep 'in use'
Kernel driver in use: i915

admin@host:~$ sudo lshw -c video
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: HD Graphics 520
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 07
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:129 memory:de000000-deffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:f000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Your device should be using the kernel's built in modesetting driver for your Skylake 520 video instead of xserver-xorg-video-intel. It is recommended that you add non-free firmware for that device, as well as intel-microcode.

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/fir ... sc-nonfree
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/intel-microcode

I'm not sure if that "i915" driver is modesetting or the xorg one, but I think it's the xorg one. This leads to the question, why is it doing that?

Install inxi and give the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -F
MX Linux packager and developer

sabur

#4 Post by sabur »

admin@host:~$ sudo inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Intel HD Graphics 520
           Display Server: X.org 1.19.2 driver: N/A tty size: 190x46 Advanced Data: N/A for root
On Antergos linux for comparison sudo inxi -G (with installed mesa-demos)

Graphics:  Card: Intel HD Graphics 520
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2) version: 4.5 Mesa 17.2.2

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Penalty of ten Debian points for running a command with sudo when the instructions said nothing about that. :D That's a very very very bad and potentially dangerous habit. Please run it as instructed, as parts of the output are blocked in Debian when running with sudo or as root.

Segfault

#6 Post by Segfault »

stevepusser wrote:Your device should be using the kernel's built in modesetting driver for your Skylake 520 video instead of xserver-xorg-video-intel. It is recommended that you add non-free firmware for that device, as well as intel-microcode.
Some confusion right there. Kernel modesetting (KMS) is not Xorg driver. KMS is mandatory for all Xorg FOSS drivers nowadays. Only nVidia blob works without it, as a matter of fact, it has its own KMS. Running Xorg loads another modesetting driver, which is a modern replacement for xf86-video-intel. Although some claim Intel driver still has edge over modesetting.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

But I took care not to call it kernel modesetting! Debian calls it modesetting..what do you propose?

More to the point, that's the driver that is supposed to show up when inxi is run correctly in Debian for Skylake graphics, not the i915. Unless it's forced in a configuration file like 20-intel.conf and the like.