Games for kids

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Games for kids

Postby 1byte » 2017-10-19 12:55

Both Microsoft and Apple understand how important it is for kids to use their OS,
so making Linux accessible to kids could be a winner Linux community .....

Just wondering if anyone can recommend some games for 2Y boy, 6Y boy and 8Y girl.

I have upgraded their laptops (6Y boy and 8Y girl) to Debian 9.x Stretch, but their favourite games have been removed, now only available in Jessie:
mathwar - https://packages.debian.org/jessie/mathwar
smc - https://packages.debian.org/jessie/smc


What are you kids favourite games and how old are they?
Last edited by 1byte on 2017-10-19 14:24, edited 2 times in total.
1byte
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 2017-07-16 06:51

Re: Games for kids

Postby pawRoot » 2017-10-19 12:59

Did you check Steam already? there should be plenty of games for kids
OS: Debian unstable sid
Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.13.0-1-amd64
WM: Gnome3
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.9GHz
MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 3
User avatar
pawRoot
 
Posts: 187
Joined: 2016-12-28 18:26
Location: Poland

Re: Games for kids

Postby 1byte » 2017-10-19 13:08

No I have not, never heard of it. I do not play games.

I will give a check.
1byte
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 2017-07-16 06:51

Re: Games for kids

Postby imazighen-thamzgha » 2017-10-19 13:14

Try to get the packages and install them.
https://linuxappfinder.com/package/mathwar
ⵉⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⴻⵏ / imaZighen
imazighen-thamzgha
 
Posts: 38
Joined: 2017-04-21 09:38

Re: Games for kids

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-10-19 14:04

Tuxkart https://packages.debian.org/jessie/supertuxkart
was a favourite with my kids,
another
https://packages.debian.org/stable/games/bouncy

There is a list here:
https://packages.debian.org/stable/games/

They also liked the Tuxmath, and there are some others that are educational:
https://packages.debian.org/stable/games/tuxmath

https://packages.debian.org/stable/games/tuxfootball
My granddaughter, 6 yrs, really likes this:
https://packages.debian.org/stable/games/tuxpaint
For drawing, and coloring.

Just browse the list.

Did you check Steam already? there should be plenty of games for kids

There is no way I would put that in my system, nor the kids laptops,... but every one has their preferences.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-10-19 16:14, edited 2 times in total.
"What we expect you have already Done"

Before doing anything, read the Debian documentation:
Debian Documentation
How to ask the smart way
Debian Foro Español
======================
For the Birds
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: Games for kids

Postby Thorny » 2017-10-19 14:07

1byte wrote:Just wondering if anyone can recommend some games for 2Y boy, 6Y boy and 8Y girl.

I have upgraded their laptops (6Y boy and 8Y girl) to Stretch, but their favourite games have been removed, now only available in Jessie:
mathwar - https://packages.debian.org/jessie/mathwar
smc - https://packages.debian.org/jessie/smc
Jessie will have long term support so it would be viable for quite a while. I don't see any pressing need to give them the latest version, especially when it means the games they love aren't yet available for that version. That is, as long as Jessie was running well on their hardware.

At age six and eight, I doubt there is a lot of peer pressure to have the latest & greatest GNU/Linux system, certainly not at two. You could consider letting them continue to use Jessie and have fun with what they already know. By the time Jessie reaches EOL and disappears, the girl might be able to do her own upgrade and maybe both of them will if you continue to mentor. Very likely, they will have different game interests before Jessie reaches EOL anyway.

I couldn't answer with any recommendation as you asked, I'm too old to be aware of what might suit children that young.
Thorny
 
Posts: 340
Joined: 2011-02-27 13:40

Re: Games for kids

Postby 1byte » 2017-10-19 14:26

Thorny wrote:
1byte wrote:Just wondering if anyone can recommend some games for 2Y boy, 6Y boy and 8Y girl.

I have upgraded their laptops (6Y boy and 8Y girl) to Stretch, but their favourite games have been removed, now only available in Jessie:
mathwar - https://packages.debian.org/jessie/mathwar
smc - https://packages.debian.org/jessie/smc
Jessie will have long term support so it would be viable for quite a while. I don't see any pressing need to give them the latest version, especially when it means the games they love aren't yet available for that version. That is, as long as Jessie was running well on their hardware.

At age six and eight, I doubt there is a lot of peer pressure to have the latest & greatest GNU/Linux system, certainly not at two. You could consider letting them continue to use Jessie and have fun with what they already know. By the time Jessie reaches EOL and disappears, the girl might be able to do her own upgrade and maybe both of them will if you continue to mentor. Very likely, they will have different game interests before Jessie reaches EOL anyway.

I couldn't answer with any recommendation as you asked, I'm too old to be aware of what might suit children that young.


Too late now, I have done it, but should have probably stayed with Jessie as what you said makes sense ... Thank you for you input.
1byte
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 2017-07-16 06:51

Re: Games for kids

Postby 1byte » 2017-10-19 14:36

pawRoot wrote:Did you check Steam already? there should be plenty of games for kids


Just looked at it, plenty of games unsuitable for young kids ...:(

Could some point me to some games that up to 8Y play from Steam?
1byte
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 2017-07-16 06:51

Re: Games for kids

Postby 1byte » 2017-10-19 14:55

GarryRicketson wrote:Tuxkart https://packages.debian.org/jessie/supertuxkart
was a favourite with my kids,
another
https://packages.debian.org/stable/games/bouncy

There is a list here:
https://packages.debian.org/stable/games/

They also liked the Tuxmath, and there are some others that are educational:
https://packages.debian.org/stable/games/tuxmath

https://packages.debian.org/stable/games/tuxfootball
My granddaughter, 6 yrs, really likes this:
https://packages.debian.org/stable/games/tuxpaint
For drawing, and coloring.

Just browse the list.

Did you check Steam already? there should be plenty of games for kids

There is no way I would put that in my system, nor the kids laptops,... but every one has their preferences.


Great games thank you.
TuxMath is network game as well :)
Just taken the Steam off, need to register etc. .....
1byte
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 2017-07-16 06:51

Re: Games for kids

Postby n_hologram » 2017-10-19 15:20

Neverputt is easily my sixth-most-used program. It's easy enough to understand, but some of the challenging levels make the game feel more like an annoying physics simulator than a simple putt-putt course. It's great to pass time while waiting for an application to compile or install.

I'm pretty sure it was designed for kids, so I guess that makes me a kid at heart.

Other notables:
neverball (big surprise)
supertuxkart
gnome-robots
or, load up an emulator :)
Last edited by n_hologram on 2017-10-19 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
n_hologram
 
Posts: 238
Joined: 2013-06-16 00:10

Re: Games for kids

Postby anticapitalista » 2017-10-19 15:22

This should help:

https://wiki.debian.org/Kids/Packages

Some suggestions:

gamine
gcompris
childsplay
tuxpaint

laby
ri-li
stellarium
tuxmath
tuxtype

frozen bubble
extremetuxracer
supertuxkart
neverball
antiX "Killah P" - lean and mean.
http://antix.mepis.org
anticapitalista
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 2007-12-14 23:16

Re: Games for kids

Postby Ardouos » 2017-10-19 16:40

Off the top of my head:

Super Tux
Super Tux Kart
Pingus
Minetest
Extreme Tux Racer
Frozen Bubble
Crack Attack
Alex4
Pyracerz
User avatar
Ardouos
 
Posts: 935
Joined: 2013-11-03 00:30
Location: Elicoor II

Re: Games for kids

Postby pawRoot » 2017-10-20 15:55

There is no way I would put that in my system, nor the kids laptops,... but every one has their preferences.


Why? Steam won't eat your computer :)
OS: Debian unstable sid
Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.13.0-1-amd64
WM: Gnome3
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.9GHz
MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 3
User avatar
pawRoot
 
Posts: 187
Joined: 2016-12-28 18:26
Location: Poland

Re: Games for kids

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-10-20 16:42

It might, on my old machines it did not help them any. I suppose on some of the newer machines it might be fine. There are a lot of threads on this forum where
people have had lot's of problems with it. I am not a "gamer", my system is for work, I have no use for it on my system, but my kid does use it on his.
myself: There is no way I would put that in my system, nor the kids laptops,... but every one has their preferences.

Note, I did not say anything about if it is good or bad , as far as other peoples systems go. But on mine, no way.
"What we expect you have already Done"

Before doing anything, read the Debian documentation:
Debian Documentation
How to ask the smart way
Debian Foro Español
======================
For the Birds
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: Games for kids

Postby pawRoot » 2017-10-20 16:46

Ok i see, i thought you don't use it because they use some "shady practices" or something.
OS: Debian unstable sid
Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.13.0-1-amd64
WM: Gnome3
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.9GHz
MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 3
User avatar
pawRoot
 
Posts: 187
Joined: 2016-12-28 18:26
Location: Poland

Next

Return to Beginners Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sarksloane and 3 guests

fashionable