Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Games for kids

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
GarryRicketson

Re: Games for kids

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

The computer I gave my granddaughter, as well is a older laptop, a small
Acer aspire series, netbook. Does not handle stuff like steam well, she is happy
with the "Tux" games, and some of the others available in the Debian repos.
There also is "dosbox" and quite a few enjoyable dos games, most young kids enjoy them.
https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/GAMES
==============
http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/

Head_on_a_Stick

#17 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You're never too young for CS:GO... :twisted:
deadbang

acewiza

#18 Post by acewiza »

1byte wrote:Just wondering if anyone can recommend some games for 2Y boy, 6Y boy and 8Y girl.
Favorite games for kids, in preference order: Reading, cleaning and digging. Appropriately size digging projects for the child's physical stature. :)
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

debiman

#19 Post by debiman »

1byte, a 2 year old should not use electronic devices at all.
they need to develop more basic skills first, and if you don't let them they will become impaired.

Head_on_a_Stick

#20 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ +1
deadbang

Bulkley

#21 Post by Bulkley »

^ +2

VentGrey

#22 Post by VentGrey »

Well I have a little brother, and he mostly plays with Debian Edu games, Tuxpaint, tuxtype, tuxmath, gcompris and other games like nibbles, supertuxkart & Postal 2 (jk, don't let your kids play that).

I think you can find some libregames for kids on the lutris webpage and in playdeb, but debian repos have more than enough games for kids to play with :mrgreen:
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

n_hologram

#23 Post by n_hologram »

a 2 year old should not use electronic devices at all.
they need to develop more basic skills first, and if you don't let them they will become impaired.
Are you really suggesting that Tux Kart isn't necessary for healthy child development?
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

debiman

#24 Post by debiman »

n_hologram wrote:Are you really suggesting that Tux Kart isn't necessary for healthy child development?
it is necessary only for my healthy inner child development :D

furquan

#25 Post by furquan »

As someone suggest before, you should install an emulator (whatever machine you like best; there are plenty available for Atari, NES, SNES, GameBoy, DOS, etc.), download some popular ROMs. I'd suggest Mednaffe as it has a graphical interface and supports a multitude of machines (it supports Atari, GameBoy machines, NeoGeo, NES/SNES, Sega machines, PlayStation and some others). Most games have an age rating so that should tell you if the game is suitable for your child or not and I believe quite a few child-friendly games were made for Nintendo machines back in the day. They usually have some mild violence (esp. the 2D ones, I can't guarantee this for 3D DOS games like DOOM obviously) like slashing and beating up monsters (but no blood) but that's for you to judge.

SuperTuxKart is the obvious choice for both adults and children (its pretty tame, no violence whatsoever). While in the past I used to hack away at NetHack on free time, now I find myself running a WM to play it. Plus it has a multitude of options to configure the graphics so if the game lags you can tone them down.

On a side note, though I'm not a parent, I doubt letting children younger than 8Y playing games on a computer is a good idea. There are plenty of healthier activities available though that's just my opinion.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:You're never too young for CS:GO... :twisted:
Nah too much noise and a toxic community. And I don't have 1000 hours spare to put in a video-game. Team Fortress 2 is much better and is free (plus they released a huge update a few days ago). Though neither of these games are good for children (no multiplayer game is, in my humble opinion).
The source code for the kernel, library, etc. should fit on one diskette. Sources for the GNU utilities will vary (and will be big). The sources to GNU emacs will take at least 3 disks. -- Theodore Ts'o, 1992 (distributing the first Linux disks)

Head_on_a_Stick

#26 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

furquan wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:You're never too young for CS:GO... :twisted:
Nah too much noise and a toxic community
Yes, you are quite right about the community (side question: why are the Russian players always so angry?), it is just awful :(

I play almost exclusively with the bots because it removes that problem and also solves the "smurfs & cheats" conundrum nicely.
And I don't have 1000 hours spare to put in a video-game
Hey, I've been playing Counter Strike since it first appeared as a HL2 mod and I'm still **** at it :D

Good thing about the bots is that you can set the skill level really low :twisted:
deadbang

pawRoot

#27 Post by pawRoot »

Yes, you are quite right about the community (side question: why are the Russian players always so angry?), it is just awful :(
I think worst are Turks and British in CS GO :evil:
Never had any problem with Russians, the only annoying thing is they speak russian to you even though they know you dont understand anything. :D

debiman

#28 Post by debiman »

pawRoot wrote:the only annoying thing is they speak russian to you even though they know you dont understand anything.
something many native english speakers do as well!

Ardouos

#29 Post by Ardouos »

Talking about communities and games.

I find that Worms Armageddon is a great game to play, casually by yourself or online with other players. It might be windows only, but the currently maintainers do ensure that it works fluently in wine. Heck, I found it works much better in wine rather than Windows.

Another note.
I know Rocket League is popular nowerdays too. Which is basically remote control rocket cars + football.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

stevepusser

#30 Post by stevepusser »

Hmmm...just built the new supertuxkart 0.9.3-rc1 release yesterday for MX 15 and 17: http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/pool/test/s/supertuxkart/

I built them on generic Jessie and Stretch platforms using pbuilder with QEMU*, so they are guaranteed compatible with Debian.

*Learning how to use pbuilder/QEMU to cross-compile and also how to hook other arbitrary repos (MX) to pbuilder for outside build-depends, or use a folder on my own machine as a repo for those, has just this week let me "level up" as a package builder on my own machine. They turn out to be 10X easier to set up than an install in Virtual Box, and I even have an armhf architecture setup for the Pi (thankfully nobody has asked for any packages on that platform, though). You can't do armhf packages in Virtual Box.
MX Linux packager and developer