Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Japanese locale, latin characters are squares, wine [solved]

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
liquidpool

Japanese locale, latin characters are squares, wine [solved]

#1 Post by liquidpool »

EDIT:Turns out I was mistaken, this was a wine issue. I managed to find someone with the same problem, and followed the instructions provided, simply installing all fonts through winetricks. I feel stupid for not having figured this out myself, seems an obvious thing to attempt, now that I think about it. http://blogs.candoerz.com/question/3086 ... oblem.aspx
I have installed ja_JP.UTF8 through locale-gen, and when running a program through LANG="ja_JP.UTF8" the Japanese characters show up as they should, the latin however, are squares, naturally I need both character sets to show up as they should. I used to run Linux Mint prior to this, where it worked on its own, so I assume that there's something I need to do, which I haven't done, and that this isn't an inherent limitation. I'm afraid I've not been able to find any documentation on this issue, the only thing I could find (on wikipedia) at all was to install the fonts-ipafont package, which doesn't seem to have done anything either way. I thank you in advance for any support I may be given.
Last edited by liquidpool on 2017-11-01 05:29, edited 1 time in total.

liquidpool

Re: Japanese locale, latin characters are squares, on XFCE

#2 Post by liquidpool »

For the record what I'm trying to run is old video games through wine, it appears in my rush I've forgotten to state this. I suppose it could also be a wine issue, however I think it unlikely, as it seems more plausible that i've not done something necessary regarding fonts, than installing wine, which otherwise appears to function without issue. The same games also worked fine under mint, which uses an older version of wine. I'm also on Debian Testing.