Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How do i find / reclaim space after a failed tar operation

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
tdiguy

How do i find / reclaim space after a failed tar operation

#1 Post by tdiguy »

I was trying to archive and compress an entire drive to another drive and my child ended up in front of my computer and managed to cancel the operation about 3/4 of the way through.
I now have a drive ( the source ) that is 90% full and the destination does not seem like it was written to at all.
The exact command i was using was:
sudo tar -czvf /media/emby/* disk-temp/Movies-archive.tar.gz
I cant figure out what is using so much disk space on /media/emby but its now at 90% and the destination is nearly empty

Also of note, i rebooted the system in hopes that it was a temp file.

Ardouos

Re: How do i find / reclaim space after a failed tar operati

#2 Post by Ardouos »

Download and install ncdu. It is a great tool that uses an ncurses interface so you can see what is using all of your storage in the terminal.

You can also use k4dirstat if you want a shiney interface.

Edit: Grammar.
Last edited by Ardouos on 2017-11-15 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

tdiguy

#3 Post by tdiguy »

Ahh ok it seems there was a problem with the formatting my my tar command. It looks like it started backing up my source drive into the first directory of my source drive.
That explains a lot, also thanks for the tip with the ncdu program really handy for cli access!

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

Ideed, wrong formatting. The destination file must be right after the "f" option.
By the way, it overwrote the contents of the first file listed by /media/emby/*.