Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

TOR Browser

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
jpsimm

TOR Browser

#1 Post by jpsimm »

Hello to everyone. I want to change from Windows 10 to Linux and Debian seems a good choice but there is one program I insist upon having and that is the TOR browser. I don't see it in the repository. I find TOR Circuits and TOR Chat but no TOR Browser.

Anyone know where it is? :?:

Thanks

Bulkley

Re: TOR Browser

#4 Post by Bulkley »

Go here. Follow the Linux instructions. For the best security, learn how to open Tor in your user space.

RU55EL

#5 Post by RU55EL »

Bulkley wrote: [...] Follow the Linux instructions.[...]
I've never tried Tor in the Debian operating system. I don't know why I never got around to trying Tor in Debian till now. The instructions are simple enough. Works fine, I am going to start making use of Tor more often.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

Bulkley wrote:Go here. Follow the Linux instructions. For the best security, learn how to open Tor in your user space.
i'd say this is a better link than the one previously offered.
just download an archive, extract it, change directories into it and run the executable.
https://www.torproject.org/projects/tor ... l.en#linux

edit:
some explanation:
the tor browser requires constant updating, but debian stable isn't really equipped to handle that.
that's why, in this particular case, it's best to use what they offer, bypassing debian's package management.
it isn't really an installation anyhow, more akin to a "portable app".

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#7 Post by 4D696B65 »

debiman wrote: some explanation:
the tor browser requires constant updating, but debian stable isn't really equipped to handle that.
that's why, in this particular case, it's best to use what they offer, bypassing debian's package management.
Really?
https://wiki.debian.org/TorBrowser#Automatic_update
Alternatively, if you installed Tor Browser using the torbrowser-launcher package. Simply close all Tor Browser windows. Then re-open Tor Browser. It will automatically check if a new version is available. Follow the instructions on your screen.

RU55EL

#8 Post by RU55EL »

4D696B65 wrote:[...] https://wiki.debian.org/TorBrowser#Automatic_update
Alternatively, if you installed Tor Browser using the torbrowser-launcher package. Simply close all Tor Browser windows. Then re-open Tor Browser. It will automatically check if a new version is available. Follow the instructions on your screen.
Thank you for pointing this out.

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

4D696B65 wrote:
debiman wrote: some explanation:
Really?
https://wiki.debian.org/TorBrowser#Automatic_update
as usual in gnu/linux, there's more than one way to do things properly.