Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Weird power related behavior on my Debian laptop.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
kir13y

Weird power related behavior on my Debian laptop.

#1 Post by kir13y »

Running the latest stable Debian Kernel with KDE on my Razer Blade Stealth 2017. Here are the issues that I'm running into:

1. When the device is connected to AC power, it goes into hibernate mode. This only happens if the device has gone into hibernate mode since being powered on. For example, everything works fine when I first boot the device but if I close the lid and open it again, then I will run into this issue.

2. Speakers seem to pop when adjusting volume. They were working fine but after updating some packages they seem to be making weird popping noises. This may be a hardware issue but I'm not quite sure. I can record some of the noises if that would be helpful.

3. When the laptop lid is closed, the screen does not turn off. If I open and close the screen again then it will turn off. As far as I can tell, it always turns off when closing the second time. It works fine the first time but after the first hibernate (similar to the first issue) I need to open and close the lid a second time for the screen to turn off.

Bulkley

Re: Weird power related behavior on my Debian laptop.

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Did it ever run properly?
They were working fine but after updating some packages . . .

What packages? Where did you get them? Are you running a clean Debian Stable or have you added some outside packages?
Running the latest stable Debian Kernel . . .
Is this a new kernel? If so, have you tried the old one? (You do keep two kernels, don't you?) Are you sure the kernel has anything to do with this?

When you did the install, did you format the drive? Is there any of those manufacturer's maintenance programs on there?

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

Powerdevil has always been funky, this newer plasma has the same bugs. Sometimes it doesn't start, or starts but won't show up in the power applet in systemsettings. You'll see a red X if that's the case, and although it says to start it in the startup/shutdown applet. Unlike the last version, there isn't a power management entry there.

So far the best I have figured out is do this:

Code: Select all

$ ps ax | grep power
  714 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/lib/upower/upowerd
  758 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/org_kde_powerdevil
 1159 pts/4    S+     0:00 grep power
$ kill 758
$ /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/org_kde_powerdevil &

-or just
$ pkill -f org_kde_powerdevil && /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/org_kde_powerdevil &
$ powerdevil: Backend loaded, loading core...
The powerdevil is autostarted now in /etc/xdg/autostart folder by a .desktop file. Not sure but maybe this file is being loaded either too early or too late in the boot process. I have tried to figure out a reliable way to automate the kill/restart process but none of my scripts have worked yet. Sometimes it just don't work.

On one machine, a desktop, powerdevil wakes back up immediately without screen locking enabled. On the laptop this isn't a problem.

I think what happens is systemd suspend takes over when the powerdevil malfunctions, that may be why you are getting inconsistent results. Not sure what the fix for it all is yet, just sharing info.

I'm using the backported 4.13 kernel it seems really fine. With a machine that new it probably won't hurt you at all.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

kir13y

#4 Post by kir13y »

Ok. I just talked with some guys on github about this and they seem to be issues that are isolated to the Razer laptops. The solution to issues 1 and 3 were adding "button.lid_init_state=open" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub. The speaker pop issue seems to be a known issue with these latops: https://insider.razerzone.com/index.php ... ise.27734/. Thanks for the help though!