Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

{SOLVED} Bluetooth Help

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Ezingers

{SOLVED} Bluetooth Help

#1 Post by Ezingers »

I purchased a Arc Touch Surface Bluetooth Mouse. I am using Debian 9 with LXDE enviorment. My headphones paired just fine on my laptop but I can’t get the mouse to pair. It recognizes the mouse as being:
MI Brand 2
Unknown
DE: 98: BD: E8: 5B: A4
But it will not pair and connect to the mouse. I looked on line and found a lot of information about this, but most of the information is for Ubantu or another distribution. There was one that said how to do this through the Terminal but was a little confusing. My level of Linux understanding is between beginner and intermediate level, so some information needs to be elaborated on. Every time I look for anything on line about Linux, everybody assumes that everyone that they address is a Linux expert. Even on forums that is for beginners. So if anybody response to this post please reply in detail. My laptop is new HP laptop with a bluetooth 4.1 and the Arc Touch Surface Bluetooth mouse is bluetooth 4.0 and my understanding is that Bluetooth 4.1 is backwards compatible so I shouldn’t be having this much problems. I hope someone out there can help me. Thank You.
Last edited by Ezingers on 2018-04-22 00:45, edited 1 time in total.

michapma

Re: Bluetooth Help

#2 Post by michapma »

I have not much use for bluetooth, but as an exercise in learning how to better help yourself, I would like to try to help walk you through the issue. Hopefully we can find a solution.
Ezingers wrote:I looked on line and found a lot of information about this, but most of the information is for Ubantu or another distribution.
Links, please. Ubuntu solutions may not work on Debian, and I don't recommend trying Ubuntu solutions on Debian. Certainly don't install Ubuntu packages on Debian! But Ubuntu has a great many users, and many clever folk, so reading their solutions and discussions can certainly give you ideas of what to try.
Ezingers wrote:There was one that said how to do this through the Terminal but was a little confusing.
Link, please. How else should anyone help you understand what confused you?
Ezingers wrote:Every time I look for anything on line about Linux, everybody assumes that everyone that they address is a Linux expert. Even on forums that is for beginners.
It may seem that way, we were all beginners at some point. If it were really true though, there would not be so many Linux users.
Ezingers wrote:My laptop is new HP laptop
Please provide the specific laptop model. It should be written on the surface or at least on a sticker on the bottom.

Please also write for us what version and architecture of Debian you are using. Stable? amd64?

What I have asked you to provide above (links, system info) is basic information that you should provide when asking a question. Forum etiquette asks that you explain what you've done in some detail. Good that you told us some details about the mouse.

As to learning to help yourself, the first thing I would do is a search (duckduckgo, google, etc.). You have done this, but apparently you only looked at forums. What about Debian documentation? For instance, a search for:

Code: Select all

debian bluetooth mouse
Turns up the following links:
https://wiki.debian.org/BluetoothUser
https://wiki.debian.org/HOWTO/BluetoothMouse

If you have not read those, please do, try out the advice, and let us know the results.

If needed, we can then dig deeper. Bend the mouse into submission! :twisted: