[Fixed]I can't log into my account

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

[Fixed]I can't log into my account

Postby RedPieDad » 2017-12-10 03:01

Debian crashed, then after reset it would not allow me to log into my account. I can use the CLI from recovery mode but I'm not sure how to fix this or what exactly caused this. A few minutes before the crash I deleted 2 user accounts and renamed my account using the "rm -rf" command to remove 2 user directories and the "mv" command to rename a third and only user directory. It was working fine. I tried to install an ad block for Firefox I got errors saying Firefox could not install ad on becase it did not have permission to modify a file. I got kicked out my Firefox session and Firefox was deleted somehow. I tried to check my directories then my computer crashed. Any clue what happened? Any helps appreciated.
Last edited by RedPieDad on 2017-12-10 05:36, edited 1 time in total.
RedPieDad

Re: I can't log into my account

Postby Bulkley » 2017-12-10 03:12

RedPieDad wrote:Any clue what happened?

Yeah, you borked it. I'd use a live-CD loaded with a rescue system or even some other distros will do. I have an old Mint that lets me look at what's there. You need to look around and see what the situation is.
Bulkley

Postby Segfault » 2017-12-10 03:13

FYI. The system does not recognize users by their usernames. For system users go by UID (and GID). You can change username manually, it is all in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. But you need to know what you are doing.
Segfault

Postby Bulkley » 2017-12-10 04:13

This can be time consuming. If you have the time it is worth fixing because you will learn a lot. I once erased my entire /var directory. It took three days to find it. I fixed it by copying a /var directory from a rescue disk which got me up and running.

So, get a large mug of coffee, several sheets of paper and a rescue disk and make notes.
Bulkley

Postby RedPieDad » 2017-12-10 04:31

I renamed my user directory back to what it was originally and it works now.
RedPieDad

Postby Bulkley » 2017-12-10 06:36

RedPieDad wrote:I renamed my user directory back to what it was originally and it works now.

Good stuff! That was quick.
Bulkley

Re: [Fixed]I can't log into my account

Postby debiman » 2017-12-10 08:10

RedPieDad wrote:Debian crashed, then after reset it would not allow me to log into my account. I can use the CLI from recovery mode but I'm not sure how to fix this or what exactly caused this. A few minutes before the crash I deleted 2 user accounts and renamed my account using the "rm -rf" command to remove 2 user directories and the "mv" command to rename a third and only user directory. It was working fine. I tried to install an ad block for Firefox I got errors saying Firefox could not install ad on becase it did not have permission to modify a file. I got kicked out my Firefox session and Firefox was deleted somehow. I tried to check my directories then my computer crashed. Any clue what happened? Any helps appreciated.

oh my god.
i hope this is not a missiion critical system.
i hope you're "just messing around"?
even so you should start heeding the warnings given to you, e.g. here viewtopic.php?f=30&t=135537 .
debiman

Postby RedPieDad » 2017-12-10 10:30

debiman wrote:
RedPieDad wrote:Debian crashed, then after reset it would not allow me to log into my account. I can use the CLI from recovery mode but I'm not sure how to fix this or what exactly caused this. A few minutes before the crash I deleted 2 user accounts and renamed my account using the "rm -rf" command to remove 2 user directories and the "mv" command to rename a third and only user directory. It was working fine. I tried to install an ad block for Firefox I got errors saying Firefox could not install ad on becase it did not have permission to modify a file. I got kicked out my Firefox session and Firefox was deleted somehow. I tried to check my directories then my computer crashed. Any clue what happened? Any helps appreciated.

oh my god.
i hope this is not a missiion critical system.
i hope you're "just messing around"?
even so you should start heeding the warnings given to you, e.g. here viewtopic.php?f=30&t=135537 .

Why do people like you exist...? Why can't you be polite instead of a sarcastic asshole?
RedPieDad

Postby Segfault » 2017-12-10 11:08

RedPieDad wrote:Why do people like you exist...? Why can't you be polite instead of a sarcastic ***?

What? You come here for help and then you start calling names for no reason?

ucp.php?i=zebra&mode=foes&add=RedPieDad
Segfault

Postby RedPieDad » 2017-12-10 11:29

Segfault wrote:
RedPieDad wrote:Why do people like you exist...? Why can't you be polite instead of a sarcastic ***?

What? You come here for help and then you start calling names for no reason?

ucp.php?i=zebra&mode=foes&add=RedPieDad

You're clearly controlled by your subconscious need for moral high ground. Act impolite, get reprimanded, get angry. That's you're cycle. You're like a program that loops. I've seen this before. Last comment wins yea?
RedPieDad

Postby dilberts_left_nut » 2017-12-10 11:36

No.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...
dilberts_left_nut

Return to Beginners Questions