Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 6 SFTP update query

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
dirtydiesel

Debian 6 SFTP update query

#1 Post by dirtydiesel »

Hello All,

I am new to Debian/Linux and the person who use to look after this has left so please bear with me.

A job has been given to me at work to upgrade our Debian 6 SFTP server to the latest OS for security reasons. From my research on Google and around the Debain website I am assuming you can not do an upgrade from Debian 6 straight to Debian 9 we will have to go incremental, can you someone please confirm?

I have seen the post on the forum that was on Debian 3 and wanted to go to 8 but they were advised to rebuild the OS, would that we a better idea for us or would 3 upgrades be ok?

I also would like to backup our SFTP settings before starting any work and i've found this article https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... d_recovery but found it a bit over powering. My question is, which directories would you advise I backup so i don't lose our SFTP settings?

Thankyou in advance for you help.

James

Ardouos

Re: Debian 6 SFTP update query

#2 Post by Ardouos »

dirtydiesel wrote:From my research on Google and around the Debain website I am assuming you can not do an upgrade from Debian 6 straight to Debian 9 we will have to go incremental, can you someone please confirm?
Yes, you are correct, you will need to upgrade to 7, 8 and then 9.
dirtydiesel wrote: I have seen the post on the forum that was on Debian 3 and wanted to go to 8 but they were advised to rebuild the OS, would that we a better idea for us or would 3 upgrades be ok?
If it is just a basic Debian system with SFTP, then it shouldn't be a problem. Issues arise with larger complex systems, or systems with external software installed (software that is not in Debians main repoistory). This is because Debian only supports upgrades with software installed through main. So YMMV.
dirtydiesel wrote: i've found this article https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... d_recovery but found it a bit over powering.
If you are unsure on what to do, I would do research and learn to use Debian to get comfortable with Linux systems, or have someone else upgrade the server.
dirtydiesel wrote: My question is, which directories would you advise I backup so i don't lose our SFTP settings?
It is best practice for a company/business to have some form of backup solution? For files and bare-metal. If not, then I would focus on that.

I hope this helps.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

dirtydiesel

#3 Post by dirtydiesel »

Hello Ardouos

Thankyou for you reply and confirming my reseach regarding the upgrade process.

The server is on a VMware host and we back up the server onto tape each night using Backup Exec so it is backed up.

I will do more research and use Debian a bit more to try and get comfortable with it.

Thankyou for the info.

James

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

Major upgrades should be done in steps slowly and carefully. Each step should be tested before proceeding to the next.