Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Making Debian live boot to text login prompt

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
electrolux

Making Debian live boot to text login prompt

#1 Post by electrolux »

This is a low-end question, but not really a beginners thing 'cause I am customising a Debian live boot process.

How do I get a Debian live DVD to boot into text mode?

I want to boot Debian Live 9.3 (with XFCE) into just text mode, no GUI, off my boot server. I have it all working, except that whilst with 7.4 adding "text" to the kernel command line means it boots to a text login (and X can be run with a 'startx'), this is not working with Stretch.

I've had a good look through various live CD build tool docs and manpages, found what looks to be all the parameters, but simply cannot see how to tell X not to run.

Thanks for the inevitable one word answer.... it is probably all this needs. So sorry for the noise :)

cfb

Re: Making Debian live boot to text login prompt

#2 Post by cfb »

You can use systemd targets on the kernel line, e.g. specify "systemd.unit=multi-user.target" to boot to text login prompt.

Read more here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Targets

electrolux

Re: Making Debian live boot to text login prompt

#3 Post by electrolux »

Ahh, thanks for both those, that's it booting nicely to a user$ prompt.