Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problem deleted /usr/local

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
gaiapuffo

Problem deleted /usr/local

#1 Post by gaiapuffo »

Hi,Problem I have deleted /usr/local whit command rvm implode.....
There is a method for reconfiguring this folder with the default file?

debiman

Re: Problem deleted /usr/local

#2 Post by debiman »

if you only just installed debian, you might recreate the folder structure from the installation medium. maybe. tbh i don't know.
or restore from the backup you made previously.

btw "rvm" seems ruby-related; how can it have wreaked such havoc on your system?

anyhow, i hope you learned your first lesson: no safety belts in linux, so drive carefully.
don't 'sudo' without good reason.

pendrachken

#3 Post by pendrachken »

You can find the hierarchy here:
http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS ... lHierarchy

Just re-creat the folders with mkdir and make sure they are RX for everybody, but only W for root.

Please note, You only need this if you want to install locally compiled programs separately from the system without making .debs

/usr/local/* is pretty much the same thing as /opt/* is, a place for programs that is separate from the system files that get upgraded from repositories, while still being in the command line $PATH. It's only really useful if you either compile from source, or want to keep different versions of software separate from the system version.
Last edited by pendrachken on 2017-12-28 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

I once deleted my /var directory and everything in it. To fix it I copied another /var from a Debian rescue disk.

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

pendrachken wrote:/usr/local/* is pretty much the same thing as /opt/* is, a place for programs that is separate from the system files that get upgraded from repositories, while still being in the command line $PATH.
oh, i didn't consider that in my previous reply.
so the system likely isn't borked.